+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most employers don't have it. Unless your govt employee .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happygirl1982 View Post
    Most employers don't have it. Unless your govt employee .
    I would disagree with this. Most big corporations, if you work in an office at least, do have paid maternity leave.

I don't work for the govt and I could take 15 weeks at full pay or 30 weeks at half pay (which I did) and then the govt mat leave kicked in after that finished, so I got 48 weeks of paid leave.

If you work for a company that has an eba, or that's smaller or you are casual, then there may not be any paid leave.

But it's not the law for them to give you paid leave either. It's at their discretion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RubySunrise For This Useful Post:

meganjeanette  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also disagree. Most places I know of who don't offer it are small businesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on your job you would most likely be under an award.
    I just went through PPL experience and had to ask so many questions to make sure I understood.
    Yes it's for 18wks, you can take it before during or after any work maternity leave. Centrelink will pay it to you if your employer refuses. Currently per fortnight net I receive $1002. Really important to complete the online application for PPL a few wks before your DD. Try and submit your hospital paper work as soon after birth as possible.
    Centrelink do have delays, but my paperwork was processed pretty quickly. I also took it in person.
    There are also 'staying in touch' days which I believe are there if your employer needs you to work while on mat leave and you should get paid for these days I think.
    Anyway that's been my experience, good luck!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Krisrugby For This Useful Post:

meganjeanette  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySunrise View Post
    I would disagree with this. Most big corporations, if you work in an office at least, do have paid maternity leave.

I don't work for the govt and I could take 15 weeks at full pay or 30 weeks at half pay (which I did) and then the govt mat leave kicked in after that finished, so I got 48 weeks of paid leave.

If you work for a company that has an eba, or that's smaller or you are casual, then there may not be any paid leave.

But it's not the law for them to give you paid leave either. It's at their discretion

Great! hopefully my workplace has a policy similar to yours! thats alot longer then i was expecting to be entitled to Will have to track down my contract (if i still have it) and check out the policy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your one year off work includes all annual, maternity, long service leave etc

I'm due in June and will commence my leave late may. I'm eligible for 6wks full pay mat leave from my employer or 12 wks half pay. I've taken the 12wk option plus I have accrued 4wks annual leave and 3 weeks overtime hours. Combined its 19 wks plus then the 18wks PPL

Check with your employer any options to take your leave at half pay. See if you can work up any extra now so that you can reduce your hours towards late pregnancy. I'm dropping to 5hr days from late April and using my banked overtime hours to compensate.

Good luck