+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity Leave Options

Hi everyone

I'm new to all this, planning to fall pregnant with my first child very soon I currently work full time (37.5 hours per week). Trying to find out what maternity leave options there are and what would be best, can anyone let me know the lengths of maternity leave (both employer and PPL)?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anyone will be able to advise on the first part of your question as that would depend on your employer. As for the government paid parental leave, I think that's for 12 weeks. There's an online calculator thingy that lets you work out whether you'll be better off to claim paid parental leave or the baby bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PPL is for 18 weeks. You choose between that or the baby bonus (which is over 13 fortnights). Your entitlements for employer leave will vary depending on where you work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Meg,
    Congrats on starting to ttc. Very exciting time.
    You are legally entitled to up to 2 years unpaid leave in which time ur employer needs to hold ur position or when u return u go to a similar role/ pay/ level etc.
    As for paid parental leave u can get up to 18 weeks paid leave at around $550 a week after tax or take the baby bonus which is $5400 at the moment but reduces in july or sept to $5000 I think. You need to have worked at least 500 hrs in the 12 months leading up to ur leave to get PPL. I don't think there is any particular criteria for the baby bonus. You also can't have earnt anymore than $75k in the 6 months before u take leave.
    As pp said there is an online calculator which tells you what u are best to go with and takes into account all of ur financial info etc. it's on the centre link website.
    I hope this helps.
    Good luck with this amazing journey your about to embark on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kc1981 For This Useful Post:

meganjeanette  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay thanks! Will have to wait and see for the employer maternity leave as they aren't aware of my plans as of yet. I have found some info on the ppl and I think that's going to be the best option. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kc1981 View Post
    Hi Meg,
    You are legally entitled to up to 2 years unpaid leave in which time ur employer needs to hold ur position or when u return u go to a similar role/ pay/ level etc.
    As for paid parental leave u can get up to 18 weeks paid leave at around $550 a week after tax or take the baby bonus which is $5400 at the moment but reduces in july or sept to $5000 I think. You need to have worked at least 500 hrs in the 12 months leading up to ur leave to get PPL. I don't think there is any particular criteria for the baby bonus. You also can't have earnt anymore than $75k in the 6 months before u take leave.
    As pp said there is an online calculator which tells you what u are best to go with and takes into account all of ur financial info etc. it's on the centre link website.
    I hope this helps.
    Just to clarify some of this... You are legally entitled to 12 months off if you have worked for your employer for 12 months and then have the right to request another 12 months, but this can be refused on reasonable business grounds.

The government PPL is about $590 per week BEFORE tax and is taxed at your normal rate.

Good luck and lots of baby dust to you!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kc1981 View Post
    Hi Meg,
    I hope this helps.
    The means test of earning $75k in 6 months applies to baby bonus only and relates to the family income in the 6 months after the birth of the child.

The PPL means test is based on the individual and is $150k per year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Employer paid parental leave is optional in Australia, so you may not be entitled to it.

The PPL is minimum wage for 18 weeks, but in lieu of the baby bonus, so it doesn't compensate for the loss of an average wage, unfortunately.

to make it worse, apparently centrelink are experiencing delays in paying the PPL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Loads of people are not employed under awards but individual contracts. If this is the case, ask for a copy of the parental leave policy. They may only have one if they offer any paid leave though, otherwise it will just be as per FWA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm very sure that I am under an award (or I was atleast until i turned 21) I will need to do some investigating then. Hopefully I am entitled to some form of employee paid maternity leave it would be alot less stressful lol