+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Bird help.

Hey

DH just found a very tame cockatiel and we have brought it home to care for till we find her owners (I hope we don't, I adore it )

If I posted a photo would anyone be able to tell me what type of cockatiel it is and possibly sex?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can't tell the sex unless it's a typical grey with yellow head and peach coloured cheeks. If you want, post a pic and I'll see what I can tell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Leee would be able to help you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    A lot of birds require DNA testing... very rarely can you tell from looks alone (though some species will only produce certain colours in a particular gender).

Does the bird have an ankle-bracelet? That would be a good place to start. Also, birds can be microchipped, so when you can, take it to the vet and have it tested. It's unlikely, but possible.

Advertise on gumtree that you found a missing bird and also let the local vets know. If there's an avian vet around, it might be good to let them know - they may have dealt with the bird previously and know where to find the owners.

As for care, provide plenty of veges. Avoid anything oniony (leeks, spring onions, actual onions), veges like potato and pumpkin, and "sugary" veges like peas and corn. NEVER FEED IT AVOCADO. Fungis (mushies) should also be avoided, as should tomatoes. Things like carrots, zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, asian greens, beans, brocolli, celery, etc... they should be good.

Fruit is allowed too, but keep it limited. The reason for this is that naturally, in the wild, birds will eat these things but they'll primarily eat them during mating season... and so a high energy diet can make their behaviour a bit off. It's also too much energy for captive birds. Fruit should be restricted.

Seed should be limited. Seeds for birds is like french fries for us - yummy, but very fatty and bad for us. They can get fatty livers, so try pellets if you can (roudybush/vetafarm etc... you can generally get these as bigger pet warehouse type stores). Mix in a tiny bit of seed.

Fresh water daily.

If you choose to keep it, its cage should be big enough for it to spread its wings fully without touching the sides. Our birds are slightly bigger than cockatiels, and have a massive cage. Our lorrikeet has her own cage... about this size: http://www.pethomesdirect.com.au/ima...image/4451.JPG That'd be a good size if you choose to keep the bird.

Also if you choose to keep it, get it checked for psittacosis. It's common amongst birds but can be transferred to humans. It can be remedied with injections though, so it's not a fate of death if the bird does have it.

The bird should also get at least 10 hours of sleep a night - if it helps, my bird's bedtime is 7.30pm. At this time, I cover their cages. They quieten down and go to sleep.

Also make sure that when you're filling their cage, there are plenty of forraging opportunities... a shallow food tray filled with kitty litter (the recycled paper kind) and then a small scattering of seeds is a good way to occupy your bird, as is wrapping up grapes or similar in newspaper so they have to work to get it. This will prevent self-mutilation (feather plucking).

Um... what else...

Natural wood and leather products are best for a bird (for toys). Hard plastic is good too. Avoid fabric as it can thread and they can swallow it and it can be harmful. Perches in their cage should not be those bits of smooth dowel you see... that can give them arthritis. Go to the local park and get some natural branches instead... they vary in width and shape so are good for foot health.

I think that's the basics. lol. I know it's HEAPS but chances are, this bird's owner will be really hard to find, so you may find yourself a new pet. So many people have pet birds but don't know how ot properly care for them... and being a bird owner, it gets me down... so hopefully this helps!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (13-04-2012),Sevven  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's a pic.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys and wow thanks sassy!! That's some great info. We have her in a budgie cage ATM I know horrible but our budgie would not appreciate a house guest. He has a huge cage.

We have had her out constantly and only put her in the cage for bed, I'll take her out again in the morning. She is very happy to be with one of us constantly.

I'm going to really try and find its owner because it's SO tame, it's clearly been hand raised! But I'll be very happy to keep it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It'll manage fine in the budgie cage for now. It's more a long-term thing.

Prob best to keep it away from your budgie anyway... they're fairly placid species, but one may have an illness the other could catch... best not to introduce them until they've been tested anyway, then introduce them slowly.

She (?? Have no idea why, but feel like calling it a she) looks quite at home with your little one. Very cute indeed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I keep calling it a she too. With our budgie I always called it a him and he turned out to be a boy.

DD just adores the little thing. We all do. She is a very lovely bird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There can be barring under the wings that can indicate sex. I find males more vocal, more likely to talk and whistle tunes so that can be an indicator.