+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wooden floorboards Vs Carpets

Hi there
    We would like to get some wooden floorboards (the floating type) and i'm just wondering if anyone can share their experiences with this type of flooring - good and/or bad experiences.

Also, would it be best to put new carpet down first, or do the floating floorbaords first?? like, which is best to get done first? We'll be replacing old carpet with new. and we currently have tiles where we'd be putting the floating floorboards.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our house had tiles in the kitchen and dining and carpet throughout when we bought it. We got it all ripped up and replaced with floating floors. Love it!!

Messes are so easy to clean. I have 2 indoor cats so it's really easy to get all their fur.

If your house is 2 storey one tip I'd say is walk around and put screws between all the squeaky floorboards. Our house made all sorts of squeaky sounds when we first moved in but none now

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-04-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    get a decent quality floating floor that has a good thickness vaneer on top (they are mostly mdf with a think slice of wood on top) The most expensive ones have a thickness that can be sanded twice. The poor quality ones it is impossible to sand so any scratches, dints etc cannot be fixed. Also get something that is a stong timber - floating floors dint quite easily but if you get a harder type of timber they will last longer.

Hubby laid some floating floors for a friend who had brought really cheap ones - they are so thin they buckle in the heat and cold, sh spilt a bit of water on them and they puffed up like a tampoon (dh had to pull those ones up and relay them). The look really nasty too. I think they were around $30 a square mtr.

My dad has got really high quality ones that cost more then real floorboards - you can sand them 2 or 3 times and they haven't dinted or scratched and he has dogs inside. They were over $80 a square mtr which i think is abit over the top.

Just a decent middle to upper range should do the job and last. It costs a bit to lay them (if you get a chippy), there is not point paying for a professional to lay them and then using such poor quality iykwim.

I just asked DH - he says doing the floating floor first. If you are not ripping the tiles up - there will be a step up between the carport and the floating floor he says - it won't be seamless which isn't bad, but just so you know?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another tip. The dude that layed ours showed me how to fix dents. In bunnings in the craft section they sell bees wax. Get a lighter on the end and drip however many drops you need in to the dent. Then a razor blade is slid gently across the top to chop off the excess. Works great!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

noopy  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bamboo is a great option, very hard wearing! Can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't cheap and when we got flooded they were fine. We did our carpets first as they were in the bedrooms and I didn't have to have workman traipsing around on new floorboards and dragging carpet rolls over the top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    spilt a bit of water on them and they puffed up like a tampoon
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA hilarious!!!!!
    i must remember that one...

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
    but.... one has said lay floating floor first, the other said they did the carpet.
    bit confused now!!! haha (can be easily done cos i'm 6 months preg!!!!)

the wooden floor we were kinda looking at is around 1.8cm thick i think... is that thick enough, or is it best to go thicker?? also, that will mean there will be a height difference between the floatings and the new carpet... i wonder if this is the way to go or can u put something under the carpet to raise it a little as well????

Thanks again to everyone to replied!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thickness I meant the wood on top, not the total thickness. I think 1.8cm would be the total height wouldn't it? Just ask them how thick the actual timber is on the top. It is glued to the rest of the board if that makes sense - they built the boards the then glue a thin piece of 'proper timber' on top.

DH said the step up he means that right now the car and the tiles are probably the same height? Both are laid directly on the flooring/slab and probably similar thickness. When you relay the carpet it will be same/similar heigh to what it is now, if you lay floorboard on top of tile it will be the the thickness of the floorboards higher then the carpet (say 20mm or so?) Its not heaps, you can buy those 90degree trims, you probably just can't use the flat trims that join the carpet to the tiles now?

I have no idea about raising the carpet? Can you possibly buy a thicker underlay? Other option is to rip up tiles, but thats messy work. A step up isn't bad, its just a little lip (just have to make sure lil ones don't stumb their toes)

Thanks
    Reviews
    as for what to do first - technically you can do either first, DH just suggested the floor boards first because in building in carpet always is the last thing to go in. Floorboards may need triming/tiles cut etc which could create dust. Trademans walking around etc. He suggested letting them using the old carpet to get dirty and then putting hte new carpet down.

PP is doing other way as bedrooms are seperate to floorboard area I guess??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much. i think the 90 degree trimming thing u mentioned is the way to go. that should get rid of any uneven surfaces where the carpet and boards meet.
    i guess in our house it doesnt matter which we do first cos you dont have to walk thru any carpet to get to the boards. but you'd have to walk on the boards to get to the carpet!

Thank again, you've cleared my head!!!!