+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    If you are worried about sexual assault, you can ask for a female doctor or check if there's a women's health clinic nearby.
    I know you have said you won't be back to this thread, but I just wanted to address this. This is the reason I don't have pap smears. It makes no difference if it is a female doctor or in a women's clinic, for me. My body shuts down and they are unable to do it anyway. I would prefer to have it done while not conscious but they won't let me do that, so I am a bit stuck. I was discussing it with my new doctor who was taking my blood pressure at the time and it went through the roof just by talking about it and I ended up having a panic attack.

I know that my physical response is at the extreme end of things but it is not something I can control and means I can't have them done as there does not seem to be a compromise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That's fair enough Ana Gram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just thought I would share a blog from friend I went to school with, she's the same ages as me (23) and was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer, her story is extremely moving and informing for those that want to read -http://mylifemystorymyexperience-che...cinations.html

I've always had regular checks, I think it's important and an easy way of preventing/detecting this horrible disease, reality really hits when someone the same age as you is batteling the disease, it's not something I take for granted therefor will continue with my 2yearly checks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first pap smear at 18 after being pressured by my mother for months (i had been sexually active for 12 months). Being that age, i expected a clear result but it came back that i had full blown & aggressive cervical cancer which i had 2 operations for & also radiation treatment for. I had no symptoms, no warning & the doctor said if it had gone undiagnosed, i would have been dead within a year.

I got the all clear after 2 years & was then told i couldn't have kids (luckily they were wrong) i have now had the cervical cancer vaccine & have to have pap tests every 12 months & luckily, they have all been clear.

When people think of STD's they usually don't think about HPV (human papilloma virus) which i tested positive for & which probably caused the cancer. My boyfriend & i (he was my first) at the time had been together for 14 months when i found out & i was on the pill but we weren't using any other protection & if we had of, i probably wouldn't have gone through all that at such a young age & lost 2 years of my youth to a life threatening disease.

So i think the OP's message is important. You are much better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loumia View Post
    I had my first pap smear at 18 after being pressured by my mother for months (i had been sexually active for 12 months). Being that age, i expected a clear result but it came back that i had full blown & aggressive cervical cancer which i had 2 operations for & also radiation treatment for. I had no symptoms, no warning & the doctor said if it had gone undiagnosed, i would have been dead within a year.

I got the all clear after 2 years & was then told i couldn't have kids (luckily they were wrong) i have now had the cervical cancer vaccine & have to have pap tests every 12 months & luckily, they have all been clear.

When people think of STD's they usually don't think about HPV (human papilloma virus) which i tested positive for & which probably caused the cancer. My boyfriend & i (he was my first) at the time had been together for 14 months when i found out & i was on the pill but we weren't using any other protection & if we had of, i probably wouldn't have gone through all that at such a young age & lost 2 years of my youth to a life threatening disease.

So i think the OP's message is important. You are much better to be safe than sorry.
    I actually had no idea about the HPV until reading my friends blog, I had no idea that even if you were vaccinated that if you were sexually active before the vaccine you could have already contracted HPV which can cause the cancer therefor making the vaccine useless (another reason why condoms should be used!) I think their definietly has to be more awareness!

Thanks for sharing your experience Loumia, your a strong lady to go through your battle, especially so young.