+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    Sorry but that's not correct. You are referred to a GYN who does a colposcopy and usually does a biopsy straight away. The results of that decide what procedure you have.
    You don't have to have a cone biopsy done unless it's cin3, otherwise they usually do a LLETZ procedure.
    I just went through this but fell pregnant right before surgery so am having it done after my 6 week check up.
    Not correct eh? If you say so I have never had cervical cancer, so what do I know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'm sorry but it's not.
    There are other procedures other than cone biopsy, as I said I'm having the surgery after this baby is born. That will be a LLETZ procedure, and GYN's like to get you in ASAP to see just how far advanced it it before they decide on treatment method.
    This has been both my experience and my Mum's, only difference was hers being 30 years ago and she did need a cone biopsy as well as D&C which was performed straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 28, I've never had a smear done, nor do I intend on having one. I never had the vaccine either - I was too old when it was first released and it was still too new for me to trust it.

I'm in control of what happens to my body, so if I say no for any reason, whether a doctor, another nurse or even one of my peers say I should do it, I still won't.
    I didn't even go to my 6wk check up with my dd because at that point in time I had no self esteem and would be bullied into it. These days, I know how to say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    Well I'm sorry but it's not.
    There are other procedures other than cone biopsy, as I said I'm having the surgery after this baby is born. That will be a LLETZ procedure, and GYN's like to get you in ASAP to see just how far advanced it it before they decide on treatment method.
    This has been both my experience and my Mum's, only difference was hers being 30 years ago and she did need a cone biopsy as well as D&C which was performed straight away.
    Ahhhh, it is your and your mum's experience. Well, than it must be a nationally accepted protocol ofcourse. I stand corrected and just made a mental note about quickly making sure both my gyn and oncologist are up to date with this protocol
    I pray I wont, but if I ever get cervical cancer again, I will insist they follow the correct protocol as per your description
    Although I am pretty sure I might just skip all the steps and go straight for a hysterectomy as I am totally over the chemo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's really no need to be sarcastic about it and I'm sure you'd find others on here have had similar experiences when testing positive for cervical dysplasia. I would say that was your experience considering you did in fact have cervical cancer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pap smear came back possible cin 3. I had a colposcopy which showed no abnormal cells but because the pap smear said cin 3 my ob assumed the cells were further up so I had to have a cone biopsy to confirm the diagnosis and treat all in one. A lletz was never mentioned.

They came back cin2 - this all happened within 3 months and I only postponed the op because I was going overseas.

To be honest I wish I had done a bit more research about what the results meant. Having a cone biopsy may possibly affect future pregnancies .... But that was the only treatment offered - and it was presented to me that cancer was imminent.....

I don't think there is enough readily available clear information on pap smears and results and treatments.

I do think if you feel comfortable enough to have the test then it's great, it can detect changes which may lead to cervical cancer - 10 minutes may save your life. But for some women it is not as easy as 'just' 10 minutes - but that is for them to decide, they shouldn't have procedures forced upon then.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (09-05-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never had one and never had the vaccine either.

I'm having a smear before TTC just to check, because my gp mentions it every single time I'm there. Might as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At my 6 week check after having my son, my gp diagnosed cin 3. I was a wreck, obviously thinking about having cancer and what would happen to my beautiful boy if I wasn't around.
    This diagnosis was only about 7 months after i'd had a normal pap result (was preg with my son at the time but didnt know).
    After the cin3 diagnosis I was refferred to the gyno for a colposcopy to confirm results, came back as cin2 and I had the LLETZ procedure done.
    I now have to have follow up paps every 12 months. my experience scared me enough to happily go and be uncomfortable for a couple of minutes.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never had one until I was 21, I was sexually active at 15. I'm glad I started doing them regularly though. My last pap test a few weeks ago came back with low grade changes and I've been advised to have another test in 12 months. I've never had the vaccine though and never will, it never sat right with me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cone biopsy I had 6 years ago obviously did not prevent me from getting pregnant nearly 3 years later. The chemo was supposed to make me sterile though and after trying for 2 years with my ex fiance, we believed the gyn and oncologist. Yet then I met DS's father and I accidentally got pregnant 3 months later. A miracle to me, but not so much to his dad
    I now have had chemo again (between August and January) and I know there will definitely no miracles be happening anymore. So if there is a next time, I'll be happy to have the hysterectomy done. I only have 1 ovary left anyway. Had my other ovary removed 3 months ago on Valentines day. I wasn't aware they removed it until I got out of surgery and they said they had no choice. Great.

So yes, I do urge all women to get a pap smeer and men to get their prostates checked. A dear friend of mine died of prostate cancer 2 years ago. He was only 34 years old.
    If you are worried about sexual assault, you can ask for a female doctor or check if there's a women's health clinic nearby.
    Pap smeers are 0.01% of the pain you get with child birth and it can possibly save your life if it does come back positive. No, they can't prevent cancer, but they can prevent death by making sure you get the right treatment in time.

I'm unsubscribing as it is really too close to home. Everyone has a right to ignore their doctor's advice. We are boss of our own bodies, but hopefully the risk these women take will pay off in the end and they will end up living a long and healthy life xx