+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Gaah this is exactly why it's so dangerous to spread this psuedo-science around.

Please please ladies look at reputable, evidence based resources when deciding what to do. I am all for informed decision making, but on REAL information.

Detailed figures on cervical cancer and cervical cancer
    screening in Australia.

• Cervical cancer is one of the most preventable and curable of all cancers.
      Since the introduction of the National Cervical Screening Program, the mortality
      from cervical cancer has halved..
    • A Pap smear every two years can prevent the most common form of cervical
      cancer in up to 90% of cases and is the best protection against cervical cancer.
    The most recent statistics on the National Cervical Screening Program
    are published in Cervical Screening in Australia 2007-2008. This report
    shows that
    :
    • In 2007-2008, 3,652,181 Australian women had Pap smears. Of these 3,599,919
      (98.6%) were in the target age group 20-69 years.
    • The two-year participation rate for the National Cervical Screening Program
      was 61.2% of women in the target age group in 2007 to 2008.
    • The three-year participation rate was 73.9% and the five-year participation
      rate was 86.3% for the same age group.
    • In 2008 the National Cervical Screening Program detected 15,814 women in the
      target age group with high-grade abnormalities.
    • The number of new cases of cervical cancer in Australia has continued to
      decline. There were 715 new cases in Australia in 2006 compared with 1,092
      detected in 1991, at the start of the organised screening program.
    • The age-standardised mortality rate from cervical cancer has more than
      halved since the start of the program, from 3.9 deaths per 100,000 women in 1991
      to 1.9 deaths per 100,000 women in 2007.

http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/in.../Content/facts
    You want to talk about false information. Read the red. Pap Smears don't prevent cancer. They detect it earlier, but they can not in any way prevent it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Peach25  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    You want to talk about false information. Read the red. Pap Smears don't prevent cancer. They detect it earlier, but they can not in any way prevent it.
    That's not misinformation

Pap smears can detect cell changes before cancer develops.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (08-05-2012),GuestMember  (08-05-2012),Mum2DandR  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    I'm 26 and I've never had one, nor have I had that vaccine...
    I've never had the vaccine either. Friends of mine did and they had terrible reactions to it. I know that not everyone will react but I'd rather avoid what they had to go through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry Missy_Mack, but saying that we are tested too often is the most bogus thing I have read in a long time.
    I am tested every 12 months because Cervical cancer runs in my family, and if i wasn't, I would be in huge trouble right now; mine developed from an abnormal cell into fully blown cancer in 12 months. You can cram your statistics and "facts". In the academic world they may mean something, but not in reality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am 32 and have never had one. At the moment I don't plan on getting one any time soon.

It is a personal choice surely. Read the information, make a decision. Don't attack others on the decision they have made.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (08-05-2012),OneNowOneLater  (09-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That's not misinformation

Pap smears can detect cell changes before cancer develops.
    Detects changes Benji, a smear can not stop changes.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Detects changes Benji, a smear can not stop changes.

No, but they can detect abnormal cells and therefore can send woman off to treat those abnormal cells before it turns into cancer, preventing it.

Unless it's just another government conspiracy. Albeit, an expensive one for them!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (08-05-2012),Mum2DandR  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the end it is everyone's choice as to what they do. My post was mainly aimed at those ladies who are hesitant about having one done because maybe they weren't sure what it involves or were a bit embarrassed (like I was). I just wanted to share my experience to show that it is a quick and easy procedure and really nothing to be embarrassed about. Despite what some of the numbers say, I know I'm happy to have the test in the knowledge it can help detect early changes and prevent evolution in to cancer. And I will definitely recommend my friends, daughters etc to do the same. Life is short and if this test can help prevent cancer, in my opinion it is really worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    No, but they can detect abnormal cells and therefore can send woman off to treat those abnormal cells before it turns into cancer, preventing it.

Unless it's just another government conspiracy. Albeit, an expensive one for them!
    My issue is that calling it a preventative causes issues in itself. It can give a false sense of security of not getting cancer if you have a smear.
    I am not against them, i get them every 2 yrs myself, but I am against propagation of incorrect information.
    Have no idea on any government conspiracies, so don't get where that comes from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My issue is that calling it a preventative causes issues in itself. It can give a false sense of security of not getting cancer if you have a smear.
    I am not against them, i get them every 2 yrs myself, but I am against propagation of incorrect information.
    Have no idea on any government conspiracies, so don't get where that comes from.

I'm not sure who would take the sentence literally when it states:

A Pap smear every two years can prevent the most common form of cervical
    cancer in up to 90% of cases and is the best protection against cervical cancer.

The info provided was from cancerscreening.gov.au so unless our government is lying to us, I'll take it to mean that it *can* be a preventative measure (which it can!)