+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I just repeat one statistic - since introducing PAP smear screening program, mortality from cervical cancer has HALVED.

I am quite passionate about this issue, and any medical issue that is affected by harmful misinformation.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (08-05-2012),Misschief  (08-05-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (10-05-2012),moongazer  (08-05-2012),Peach25  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    I've heard these things before and it has me second guessing whether to have a pap smear at my 6 week check up. I read somewhere that regular pap smears can actually aggravate the cervix which is not a good thing.
    How regular are you talking about though? Every 2 year isn't regular. When someone has a papsmeer and it comes back positive, they usually don't do a biopsy straightaway. They wait 3 months and get you to do own again. If that comes back positive again, then you'll have a cone biopsy. Even that wont cause permanent damage to your cervix.
    Ofcourse you shouldn't try to TTC straight after a biopsy or papsmeer. Give your cervix a few weeks to heal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm all up to date with mine, always have been. My last one was after DD was born, at my 6 week post natal checkup (so it was about 6 months ago). It's a little uncomfortable, but my GP is a nice woman and she's very quick and professional about it. Only a small embarrassment for peace of mind. In the last 15 years I've had one abnormal result (required going back 6 months after abnormal one), but all have been clear apart from that. The last one was all clear so I'm due to get another one in 18 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always thought that, if I had to give birth with some bloke (OB) looking up at my privates that would look like they have just been mashed up from delivering a water melon through a tiny hole, a papsmeer would be the least to be embarrassed about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    How regular are you talking about though? Every 2 year isn't regular. When someone has a papsmeer and it comes back positive, they usually don't do a biopsy straightaway. They wait 3 months and get you to do own again. If that comes back positive again, then you'll have a cone biopsy. Even that wont cause permanent damage to your cervix.
    Ofcourse you shouldn't try to TTC straight after a biopsy or papsmeer. Give your cervix a few weeks to heal.
    Ahh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I just assumed they would biopsy you straight away if you came back with an abnormal result.

I will more than likely have the pap smear at my 6 week check up as I'd rather know one way or the other! Living in ignorance doesn't save lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Sorry but that's not correct. You are referred to a GYN who does a colposcopy and usually does a biopsy straight away. The results of that decide what procedure you have.
    You don't have to have a cone biopsy done unless it's cin3, otherwise they usually do a LLETZ procedure.
    I just went through this but fell pregnant right before surgery so am having it done after my 6 week check up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was diagnosed with cervical cancer when I was 24, and that was with the full course of Gardasil injections completed almost 12 months prior. Gardasil protects against transmittable HPV, but nothing that you are genetically predisposed to. My grandmother died of cervical cancer, so that's how it came to me. No matter how old you are, get the smear. A brazillian wax is much more uncomfortable to be honest, and everyone lines up for those!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peach25 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-05-2012),Misschief  (09-05-2012),Mum2DandR  (08-05-2012),SimpsonDesert  (08-05-2012)

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 26 and I've never had one, nor have I had that vaccine...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first pap at 18 and nag all my friends about doing it. My uterus spasms for about 30 mins and even I do it every year as my gp says even though it makes me uncomfortable, cervical cancer is much worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    I'm 26 and I've never had one, nor have I had that vaccine...
    Any reason you haven't been vaccinated?