+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pap smear, book now!

Hello ladies,

Just had my pap smear done yesterday and it was really nothing to worry about. I had postponed it for a while as I do feel a bit embarrassed having it done, but really shouldn't have. I booked at my local womens health clinic, all the staff are women, very friendly and they do the pap test on a daily basis.
    I have already set a reminder for my next appointment in 2 years time.

So if any of you are overdue, please make an appointment now, the test only takes a minute and is too important to ignore :-)

Cheers
    Skya

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skya For This Useful Post:

Cheetara  (08-05-2012),Misschief  (08-05-2012),Mum2DandR  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump I agree if your due or overdue for your papa smear go get checked. A few years ago I went from low grade possible abnormalities to cin3 in 12mths and I was only about 23 at the time. I had to have a little op to remove them and now I'm all good. It's so easy to get checked to prevent something that can take your life. I get checked every 12mths now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Skya  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your experience Jensha! Your story shows how important it is to get checked. Happy everything turned out well for you. :-)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only had my first pap smear this year im 23 and it was so much nicer and easier than I thought it would be

Thanks
    Reviews
    This reminds me.. I am due for one this year! can you get it done while you are pregnant, or do i wait till after bubs is born??

PS - OP Great thread! I was also suprised when i got my first how quick and easy it was. Not embarrasing at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Did you know 1 in 3 women get false positives that lead to biopsies which can affect childbirth and fertility? Studies have shown less than 0.45% of all cervical cancers can be prevented with a pap smear and that it has been suggested for many years that Australia needs to change their screening time to every three years, yet this hasn't happened. And worse to save ONE womans life from cervical cancer 1000 women need to be screened for 35 years. That is almost a one in 35000 chance of needing to be screened.

There is such a lack of informed choice in Australia relating to this medical procedure, it is really disappointing. Other countries have better options for testing (like self testing!) and are getting better outcomes

Links for further reading
    Study Questions Pap smears for under 25s
    Start Pap Tests later Say Doctors
    Why I will never have another smear test
    Missie Mack.....are you saying that pap smears are not an effective preventative option for cervical cancer?

Just wanting to understand your post properly because if I read it right it would seem pap smears are not good at preventing anything!

Interestingly I recieved a false positive in Jan....had to wait 3 months, had another one and now all clear. Nurse was saying that false positives are very common

Thanks
    Reviews
    Missie Mack where on earth did you get those figures?!? I am sure they are completely wrong. If I remember later I'll try to dig up correct and verified information.

It's dangerous to spread unsubstantiated stuff like that about.

And what the heck is self testing?? Good luck getting your own transformation zone!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (10-05-2012),moongazer  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Did you know 1 in 3 women get false positives that lead to biopsies which can affect childbirth and fertility? Studies have shown less than 0.45% of all cervical cancers can be prevented with a pap smear and that it has been suggested for many years that Australia needs to change their screening time to every three years, yet this hasn't happened. And worse to save ONE womans life from cervical cancer 1000 women need to be screened for 35 years. That is almost a one in 35000 chance of needing to be screened.

There is such a lack of informed choice in Australia relating to this medical procedure, it is really disappointing. Other countries have better options for testing (like self testing!) and are getting better outcomes

Links for further reading
    Study Questions Pap smears for under 25s
    Start Pap Tests later Say Doctors
    Why I will never have another smear test
    I've heard these things before and it has me second guessing whether to have a pap smear at my 6 week check up. I read somewhere that regular pap smears can actually aggravate the cervix which is not a good thing.

I don't know though...I was always terrified of having the test and I finally had one at age 26 and it really wasn't that bad at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess now that we have the HPV vaccine, recommendations will need to change for women under 25 to get with the times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveyDovey View Post
    I've heard these things before and it has me second guessing whether to have a pap smear at my 6 week check up. I read somewhere that regular pap smears can actually aggravate the cervix which is not a good thing.
    Gaah this is exactly why it's so dangerous to spread this psuedo-science around.

Please please ladies look at reputable, evidence based resources when deciding what to do. I am all for informed decision making, but on REAL information.

Detailed figures on cervical cancer and cervical cancer
    screening in Australia.

• Cervical cancer is one of the most preventable and curable of all cancers.
      Since the introduction of the National Cervical Screening Program, the mortality
      from cervical cancer has halved..
    • A Pap smear every two years can prevent the most common form of cervical
      cancer in up to 90% of cases and is the best protection against cervical cancer.
    The most recent statistics on the National Cervical Screening Program
    are published in Cervical Screening in Australia 2007-2008. This report
    shows that
    :
    • In 2007-2008, 3,652,181 Australian women had Pap smears. Of these 3,599,919
      (98.6%) were in the target age group 20-69 years.
    • The two-year participation rate for the National Cervical Screening Program
      was 61.2% of women in the target age group in 2007 to 2008.
    • The three-year participation rate was 73.9% and the five-year participation
      rate was 86.3% for the same age group.
    • In 2008 the National Cervical Screening Program detected 15,814 women in the
      target age group with high-grade abnormalities.
    • The number of new cases of cervical cancer in Australia has continued to
      decline. There were 715 new cases in Australia in 2006 compared with 1,092
      detected in 1991, at the start of the organised screening program.
    • The age-standardised mortality rate from cervical cancer has more than
      halved since the start of the program, from 3.9 deaths per 100,000 women in 1991
      to 1.9 deaths per 100,000 women in 2007.

http://www.cancerscreening.gov.au/in.../Content/facts

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-05-2012),bunkx  (08-05-2012),Jensha  (08-05-2012),Mum2DandR  (08-05-2012)