+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See again, it isnt a no brainer as everyone is different. Personally I dont want to carry an 18kg child in a sling, they have legs, my DD1 is 17kg at 2yrs and hates being carried and has even refused to get in the stroller for the past 9months. Having a baby carrier being cool is more a priority in Qld for me.
    Yeah that is annoying not being able to try them, I use to live remotely so I know what you mean. All the best, I hope you find something you love.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in a hot climate, and love our Ergo Performance . It's nice and light. DD is 2 yrs and 15kg, and I can still carry her comfortably for hours . Good luck with your search

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Personally I wouldn't put a baby in something like a BB until the have good head control as I don't think there is any neck support so their head would be slumped to one side wouldn't it? I had a BB style carrier with DS but he was so enormous that it was never comfy and I wore it once for about 10 minutes. I also didn't like him dangling by his crutch, I wouldn't like to dangle in the air and only be supported from my crutch so I figured he wouldn't like it much either. I bought a jazsling and used to carry him on my hip sometimes for very short trips (he was seriously huge and I challenge anyone to wear a baby as big as he ws!) We tried him in the ergo but he didn't like it.

With DD I was a bit more prepared. I bought a range of slings second hand and borrowed a HAB from the luffly Izy. As it turned out DD liked different slings at different times. As a newborn she loved the HAB but that got a bit uncomfy so we moved to a peanut shell which was a god-send as she was a very clingly baby but was happy to lie and nap in this sling. As she got bigger I moved to a ring sling on the hip or the ergo which she's fine with either. I don't wear her much these days but when she was little they did have their place!!

Would second hand be an option? That way you might be able to get something cheaper and get more than one option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With the baby Bjorn, the baby dangles from the crotch while with an Ergo/Manduca, the baby is sort of seated in the carrier so their weight is resting in their bum (I think that's right).

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarplumMummy View Post
    Thanks you have given me some things to think about. I guess my question regarding the posture was what is the difference between the ergo/manduca or others versus the BB in the baby position - They look like the same position to me??
    I could only wear my BB for 8 months max as my bubs are chubby! So yes the others are attractive because I could wear for longer but not sure if my body could wear the weight with any carrier then anyway?
    We do have hot weather so definately could not have bub in a hot carrier, guess that rules out the ergo then but then most of the "others" are made from similar material.
    You could try the Ergo Performance - I have this for Brisbane and it's perfect for hotter climates as its made with fabric designed to keep baby cooler and less sweaty, much like a gym shirt. I used the Performance insert (which you use in an ergo from newborn to approx 4 months) too for my Jan baby and found it really helped control that heat.

The positions are very different - a Soft structured carrier (SSC) like the Ergo seats the baby in a natural sitting position with knees up higher than bottom which is in a wide supportive seat. front pack carriers like the BB use the baby's crotch as the support seat - its narrow and babies legs hang straight down. It's like comparing sitting on a barstool without touching the ground to sitting upright in a hammock. One is certainly more comfortable than the other.

Because a SSC bears the weight on your hips and both shoulders and not your back generally most people can find they carry an older child for longer. I carry a 6 month old at 6 kgs and a 3 year old at 16kgs and I do carry both at the same time too. And I have a bad back - but the design of a SSC allows for better support for my back compared to carrying them.

Honestly you (generally) cannot go wrong with a SSC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I read another thread - for the ergo fans would you recommend an ergo for a small person

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im 5'2 and a size 6 and I adore my ergo! Very comfy, and fit me fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone used a frankin and spencer sling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry franklin and spencer tylon sling