+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bjorns are simply not optimal for baby or wearer. There are much better options out there now supported by new evidence.

OP, babywearing will make a huge difference when chasing a toddler around and carrying a newborn. It ha been my saviour!!

Just be mindful a Bjorn style carrier doesn't provide optimal head support, so if you have to bend or pick things up, babies head can flail about. You can get around that by looking into a wrap like a Hug A Bub (for example) for those early days..

If you enjoy the benefits and want to keep going I'd look into a soft structured carrier like the Ergo for the future as you will get more use as it goes up to 20kg and you can go on the back.

Having hands free is wonderful and I hope you find a comfortable carrier for long term use!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was given a Baby Bjorn, and used it from birth for very brief outings only a handful of times, just until DD was big enough to fit in the Ergo without the insert. I would have loved to have used my Ergo with the insert, but she was born in October and it was just WAY too hot to put her in the insert, so it suited me better to use the Baby Bjorn.

But then it was less than 5 times that I used it as I prefer to use the pram and honestly, DD just prefers her personal space, she's not a huge fan of being worn so I don't even use my Ergo much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Obviously people feel very strongly about which carrier to use. Each to their own - I just love babywearing - am hoping the next bub enjoys it too.

I have a baby bjorn carrier already and used this with my first bub - yes I did the research then - but could not find anything other than opinion (i.e no solid research findings) at the time. I found the baby bjorn to be much cooler and more suitable also as we live in a very warm and humid climate. I did not use the bjorn with my newborn as I was concerned about the head support too. Will have to get it out once bub arrives and see what I think again.

However in saying that I checked out the ergo's and love the design/s! And they look like they provide more lower back support, which I thought the baby bjorn lacked as bub got bigger, I am a petite build so could not wear a baby front or back for an extended time anyways. I found DS nearly bowled me over when he was dancing or happy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarplumMummy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found this article, some might find interesting

http://www.continuum-concept.org/rea...nalStress.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovemyfam - you may also want to check out the ACCC safety warning on the sling. You may find it interesting and can weigh up potential risks of a carrier versus a sling.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarplumMummy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (14-04-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bag slings are the type that come with warnings and a recall.

ALL slings don't fall into that category.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    However in saying that I checked out the ergo's and love the design/s! And they look like they provide more lower back support, which I thought the baby bjorn lacked as bub got bigger, I am a petite build so could not wear a baby front or back for an extended time anyways. I found DS nearly bowled me over when he was dancing or happy![/QUOTE]

I chose the ergo due to the back support as I have a bit of back pain, and because of the weight limit.
    I even had my 3 yr old in it about 5 months ago on my back, she's normal height but only about 13kg, and it was still comfortable.

I do have to buy a new one for the new bub though as the elastic has started to sag and it doesn't seem as secure around the waist.. It is 6 years old though and i have used it with 3 bubs :-) can't wait to choose a new one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I don't think that's a good rule of thumb eg. cot bumpers, cot pillows, soft mattresses, the list goes on.
    Obviously ....I meant just the BB carrier!! I'll be clearer next time!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarplumMummy View Post
    Lovemyfam - you may also want to check out the ACCC safety warning on the sling. You may find it interesting and can weigh up potential risks of a carrier versus a sling.
    You need to read this, http://babyslingsafety.blogspot.com.au/ no one here has suggested anyone use a bag sling, they are very very dangerous and they make me shake and go clammy.

This is what we are all talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3DODqV_nM , tummy to tummy and should be able to kiss the top of baby's head

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believed the hype about BBs being bad, so bought an Ergo but it was no use til DD was 4mth old (the infant insert was too hot and seemed dangerous and suffocating!). Ergo was great but all my mothers group friends used their BBs from newborn age and they loved them. All their kids seem fine now! ( age 18 months). I also know lots of older kiss who were carried in BBs as infants and are fine and healthy too