+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Extreme Fatigue... Could it be anemia?

Hi all

In february I had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy at 7 weeks. I am now 7 weeks pregnant again and everything is going smoothly. Well, by smoothly I mean that I feel awful haha I have never been so tired in my life. Its almost like I am jet lagged all day long. On top of that, I am nausceus between food so eating like a horse, and have the most horrendous skin break outs like I've re-entered puberty. Fun!

I hadn't really thought much of the fatigue, assuming it was normal but I had a day off work today to rest and I spent most of that in bed too so I googled and found symptoms of anemia during pregnancy can include shortness of breath, dizziness and of course excessive fatigue. I have some of that.

Is anyone else getting real short of breath (I am asthmatic too) and occassional dizzy moments around the 7 week mark? I've got a dating scan next Thursday so not back to the GP til after then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on elevit with iodine too... have been for the past year but my diet is probably not the most balanced at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by pharmacist & dr that Elevit would provide all the iron I needed. My friend told me to drink orange juice (vitamin C) with my food and see if that helped absorption wise. It did and I feel remarkably better- still exhausted but not tantrum/sulk worthy now I also started eating whole baby beetroots just lately ^_^ thought I'd throw that bit in anyway!

Having said all of that, some ladies need an iron boost so I'd chat with your gp or ob

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fatigue and dizziness is awful. I think at your doctors appointment you need to ask for the blood test that specifically checks your iron level. I have a friend who didn't know she was anaemic until almost the end of her pregnancy because it was never checked! And she was seriously exhausted!!
    I've felt similar and have been taking spatone, a liquid iron supplement that I also take with orange juice to help absorption. I think it helps.
    But I would definitely talk to your doctor first and get a blood test. Good luck! And congrats! I'm about 7 weeks pregnant too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been feeling similar, but my doctor says it's low Vitamin D in my case, so make sure they check that as well. It could potentially be any of several important vitamins/minerals you need... or it could just be general first trimester exhaustion. Be prepared, it'll come right back in the 3rd trimester as well! I am only 17 weeks, but feel like I could sleep all day and night anyways. Just need someone to wake me up when bubs is due lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Whilst fatigue is a fairly normal pregnancy symptom, it's a good idea to have a blood test to see what's going on. That way you can take supplements if needed, but you don't risk taking supplements you don't actually need.

I had a blood test at 5 weeks with DD, and it showed that I was vitamin D deficient. I'm glad I got the test, as vitamin D deficiency in the mother can lead to rickets in the baby as they get older (after birth), as they get their vitamin D in the womb, so if the mother is deficient the baby starts out life also deficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Disregard what I said, didn't see second post
    Unlikely to be iodine if you're taking a vitamin, best bet is to tell your ob and request bloods

It may be iodine levels
    I was SO exhausted during ny first pregnancy that I would crawl inti bed at 5 pm and not surface til 8-9 am the next day (or 12-1 pm if I had no classes) I only made it to 9 weeks gestation but it was really affecting me.

I found out I had 'critically low' iodine levels the night I went upto the hospital for suspected miscarriage,
    I discussed my iodine levels with my ob prior to me conceiving my second baby and was advised to eat iodized salt and when I told him I eat salt like once a month on a carrot or tomato sandwich he advised me to take blackmoores pregnancy and breast feeding vitamin with extra iodine

There was a big energy difference between pregnancy 1 & 2
    Second pregnancy

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Last edited by GuestMember; 13-04-2012 at 23:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. Vitamin d might be an issue. This time a year ago well before we were Ttc I had bloods saying low vitamin d and borderline iron. Strange cos my office at work involves a big sunny walk to the rest of the centre several times a day. That was why I started on elivit so early. I'll try the orange juice thing until my next appointment and see if it helps.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.584214,152.731223

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi after DS i had some blood test and turned out i had b12 deficiency. Here is a link for more info http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000574.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already but have you ever had your thyroid hormone levels checked? It might be worth getting that test done when you check your iron levels as certain thyroid problems can also cause fatigue and dizziness.