+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Newborn side sleeping position

Lately I find that my 9 week old prefers to sleep on his side, I will usually put him on his side (using the sleep positioner) and then roll him onto his back to continue his sleep. Sometimes during the day I will just leave him on his side for the whole sleep and just check on him more often.
    Is this really bad (I know it is a SIDS risk factor) as I dont know how else to settle him.
    I use the sleep positioner so he cant roll onto his tummy, but I am not sure what happends if he vomits in his sleep.

Why do babies love their side so much!!??

As soon as DS1 could roll, he was a tummy and side sleeper, and still is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 would only sleep on his side and DS2 only sleeps on him tummy, I can't really offer any help DS2 is 9 weeks if he vomits it wakes him up and he starts crying until he is cleaned up, maybe talk to your MHM they might have some advise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. Seems to be a few babies with other preferences to their backs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like the rest of us, different buns have different sleep preferences.

They often forget to tell you now that its actually better for the formation of bubs cranium to rotate sides. If a bub is only put to sleep on his / her back, they can end up with a "flat head" which not only looks dorky but is bad for some other reason I can't remember.

Don't stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was also a side sleeper... She just wouldnt settle as NB till I put her on her left side (at mum's constant nagging). She has never slept on her back but prefers her left or tummy. Once she got her head moving well I popped her on her tummy.

Yes not SIDS but some bubs do prefer sides/tummy sleeping. Plus she was in our room till she was crawling so I could constantly check on her overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sleeping on the left side means the top inlet to the stomach is higher than the bulk of the stomach and therefore less chance of the contents coming back up out of the stomach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2, was a side sleeper from Day 1, she would roll onto her side in hospital! When she started rolling at about 4-5 months, that was it, she was and is a tummy sleeper, no matter how many times I lay her on her back! Just out of curiousity does your bubba have reflux? DD2 had silent reflux and apparently the side sleeping is more comfortable for them and less painful... I used to worry all the time too, but she was fine; my problem now is that she still loves to wrapped for day sleeps, but wants to sleep on her tummy, hmmm... Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, thanks for your replies, sorry it has taken me away to get back to you.
    Yes I think DS has reflux, he 'brings' up milk and needs a little thickener in his milk (Is that reflux?)
    Lately the side is all he likes otherwise he wont settle!
    At night I take the support away so he rolls slightly onto his back.