+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off: 2nd child, what would you....

Just like the other thread on what you would have liked to have been told before your first, what is your best advice for going from one to two?

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    subscribing as I'm currently pregnant with number 2!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm subscribing too.. Me thinks it shall be interesting.. :-p

Thanks
    Reviews
    to throw everything i already know about parenting right out the window lol.
    and i wish id had a closer are gap between #1 and #2

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    To not sweat on what's 'right' or 'wrong' and just go with your babies flow.

I spent far too much time worrying what I should or shouldn't be doing the first time around and didn't really get to enjoy those precious early months.

Seriously, newborns are blardy easy. Eat, sleep, poo. No toddler negotiations to deal with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Every child is different and needs to be parented different. What works for one doesnt work for the other.

Being sleep deprived the 2nd time is easier to handle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (14-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That your first child will adapt to having to share you, thats your not a bad parent if u cant do everything u used to with one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasnt prepared for a challenging bub, DD1 was sooo good I thought the 2nd time around would be easy!
    I never wanted to, but I've had to parent DD2 differently in some ways, I thought I knew a lot since I already had a child, but I was wrong.

I remember being pregnant and worrying how I would ever love my 2nd baby as much as DD1. Even though DD2 is challenging it wasnt a worry, once I had her I just "found" all this new love for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just over a month of being a mum of two...

To tell #1 in advance about the baby and prepare them for the arrival, and being looked after by grandparents or whoever whilst you're at the hospital.

To include them in looking after the bub - DS1 feels included because he can help - bring nappies, fake burps the baby, singing to him etc.

Make sure you/another important person in #1's life gives them a lot of attention after the baby is born - making sure they don't feel abandoned/less loved etc.

Give them a baby doll and a carrier/pram and nappies and clothes and encourage them to look after "their" baby when you look after the little one and can't play with them.

Talk to them about the baby and them being a big brother/sister

If your #1 still naps - nap with them! Or ask someone to look after them so you can nap with your baby.

Freeze meals for when you just can't cook

Remember that #1 and #2 can be very different and you might have to change tactics. DS1 was easy, DS2 isn't. Your kids might have very different needs.

If you can't get #1 to playgroup/park etc because you're too tired, ask someone to take them if possible.