+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School camps/outings and dietary requirements

The thread on fussiness got me wondering if anyone else worries about school camps if their kids have specific dietary requirements.

Mine is vegetarian, has coeliac disease, is unable to have much animal milk, and is sensitive to certain numbers in foods. She has ADHD and Autism.

The teachers are very good, but I have concerns mostly about catering to a vegetarian diet, but also if they have parent helpers I am very worried about gluten cross-contamination.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The son of a friend of mine also has lots of dietary issues. The only way she has peace of mind is by preparing all of his food for camp prior to and she tries to make it very similiar (but suiting his requirements) to the camp menu so that he doesn't feel too singled out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    The son of a friend of mine also has lots of dietary issues. The only way she has peace of mind is by preparing all of his food for camp prior to and she tries to make it very similiar (but suiting his requirements) to the camp menu so that he doesn't feel too singled out.
    Id recommend doing this if you have concerns. School camps will always cater for dietary requirements. But part of the problem could be one persons definition of gluten free/vegetarian/pescatarian is different to another's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother once tried to offer "gluten free" anzac biscuits to dd. He is vegan and thought he cooked gf because his wife went gluten free but they thought gluten was just wheat when it's barley, oats, wheat and rye.

When she went to the daycare mum for a night, I asked what they were having and cooked a veg, gf version of it. They had creamy pasta which was easy. I used gf pasta, coconut cream, and left out the chicken, and it looked very similar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I wouldn't trust food on excursions but most camps places around here have the ability to cater for all dietary needs. It all on the forms you need to sign for them to go. The are liable legally if they don't follow through with. I haven't heard of an issue with the place our kids have been here. In saying that our school doesn't go to island so I am not sure about how good the camps there. Pm if you want to know which place our kids have gone. Oh they have lots of kids with special diets in there classes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are they liable legally if they try to feed meat to a vego kid or does that extend to allergies only? On my school camp in year 10 we had stew and spaghetti where you couldn't just leave the meat, so it was a case of eat meat or go hungry, and it was tough only having 2 meals in the first half of the day when there was a lot on in the second half of the day. I ran away from camp and spent that time cleaning the school as punishment, but got to eat veg food while I cleaned. Bit dangerous though, a man was murdered near where I was picked up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At our schools they all have to take their own food for all excursions so thats not an issue.

I know our primary school is very good when it comes to allergies and intolerances on school camps. At least they seemed to be when DD1 was in Year 5 & 6. I would presume they are also good when it comes to additives and preservatives as I know our principal seems to know about how they can effect behaviour.

And with the Year 7 camp in High School, I'm pretty sure they catered for everyone whatever the reason. (Allergy/Intolerance/Religious) There was a 2 page information sheet (or you could add more info if you needed to) we had to fill in before they went.

eta: I remember DD1's High School wanted to know everything. So, if they were vegetarian/vegan/intolerant/allergic or whatever. And they said they would cater to all of them. And I do remember having concerns about the medical side of things when DD1 went to her first camp in year 5. But that was put to ease after talking with one of the teachers in charge of the camp.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 14-04-2012 at 10:44.