+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    I count, or seriously count sheep! Its the only way I can distract my brain - thinking about something else than I eventually drift off.

ORR rather than thinking about something thats worrying me (mroe often than not its money & work!) I think about something exciting - bubble thats coming, what they will look like etc. That normally settles me down a bit.
    LOL this is me too, thought I was the only one.... Can't wait for a blissful uninterrupted sleep, will it ever come?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to louP For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read on my kindle. Sometimes within 20 mins I can hardly keep my eyes open.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to starla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't do it! I generally put on a couple of episodes of a tv show on my laptop next to the bed, turn the screen brightness completely off so it's dark and turn the sound down so I can only just hear it, so I have to concentrate the tiniest bit to listen to it (and so that DP can't hear it on the other side of the bed!).
    I go with shows that I've seen a billion times that I know will just relax me, things like The Simpsons or The Office. Happy shows!
    Works every time! Otherwise I get increasingly more tense and awake the longer I lie there...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read to make me tired ( books not phone as they say electronic stuff makes you not sleep well)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EmPowering For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some things I try;
    - St John's Wort can help stop the "monkey chatter" of the brain. I use pharmacy vitamins or homepathic versions.
    - valerian: herbal relaxant
    - DF reads to Fuzzy and I (Fuzzy is in utero). DF reads when we go to bed, so I usually fall asleep this way. We are currently enjoying Wind in the Willows.
    - Steal DF's sleep: If I am awake and DF isn't, I have to tell him. He rolls over and snuggles me so I "steal" sleep from him. He snuggles close, and I try my best to match my breathing to his. This works most of the time for me.

Lack of sleep is the worst

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluePixie For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (13-04-2012),~Marigold~  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was pregnant with DD, I used to put my iPhone "Sleepmaker Wildlife" app on (specifically, the "Gentle birds open air mountains" one), and it helped me to just switch off. They're actual recordings of sounds so it really does sound like you're outside lying on grass in a meadow listening to the birds.

I don't generally have this problem when not pregnant, I am blessed with the ability to just switch off and fall asleep within minutes, but for some reason when I'm pregnant my mind goes crazy.

Another thing that helps is to focus on my breathing. I just focus on each breath in and out, and if my mind starts to wander I just refocus on the breaths. That one never fails, so if I just keep refocusing I'm asleep fairly quickly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some nights I can lay in bed for 4+ hours tossing and turning to try and sleep. It's a vicious cycle, the longer I have been trying to get to sleep for the more anxious I get about falling asleep which doesn't help! I have started taking Valerian to help make me a bit dozey, it still normally takes about an hour and a half of laying there trying to fall asleep but that's a big improvement!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I use guided meditation. Sometimes it's the only way for me to get some sleep.

If you google it you'll find some good ones

It can take some practise but it's so worth it!

I know how frustrating it is.
    I use relaxation too when things are really bad.

I have a few loaded on my iPod and do them in the night if I really can't sleep. I usually only get through about 5-10 mins and I'm asleep. When pregnant I was listening to hypnobirthing cd and that also did the trick.

Sent from my LT15i

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I lay on the lounge and get lost in my fav tv show, and fall asleep that way.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being kept awake all night because of worries is excruciating! I'm exactly the same as you.. the big preggo belly isn't helping, either. I've had bad insomnia for 2 weeks.. a mixture of being a chronic worry wort and pregnancy hormones, I suspect. What I do (or try to do) is change the channel in my head.. if a negative thought pops up, I'll try to distract myself with something else: last night I sat up and wrote out a list of everything I need to pack for the hospital and stuff I still need for the baby. It's a distraction for the short term, eventually sleep will come!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post: