+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default toddler tantrums.... how do you cope?

how do you cope when your toddler has a tantrum in public or somebody's house and no matter what you try, they just don't listen to you.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take a deep breath and give him tickles! At least he forgets (sometimes) why he's throwing the tantrum hehe :-p

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we havent had ths much (yet!) but i pick dd up, or rub her back and tell her 'i see youre cross, but we arent xyz' if i know the problem. otherwise we go and sit quietly until she has calmed down enough to tell me whats wrong, then go from there

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    if distracting doesn't work, ignoring is my next tactic. Dd1 recently tantrumed under her bed for half an hour, and had to come out to use the loo lol.
    Some days i find its easier to handle than others. But if they are beyond listening, them its best to wait until they calm. Or physically remove them. Depends on where and when.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Distraction first, if that doesnt work... We find a quiet place, (if we are out, we go back to the car) and do a bunch of therapeutic calming techniques. If he is refusing that, i strap him in his seat and hold his hand and let him cry/scream it out. Depending on whats happened he gets lost into the meltdown abyss where only quiet and reassurance of saftey and to just get it all out will stop it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for the replies! I might give your suggestions a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Distraction and removal from scene.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Distraction of I can. I try to reason with him sometimes, but depending on what the tantrum is about,that's not always possible. Lately I have been saying to him "Look at my eyes" when he is not listening or having a tanty. He usually stops and stares at my eyes,then forgets what he was complaining about in the first place.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Point and laugh

No, not really. Well maybe kind of a little. Fortunately DS is fairly distractable, but not right away, so i'll usually let him go on for a bit and then say something like 'hey DS, should we look out the window for cars and motorbikes?' And that sometimes works, if it doesn't i'll try again in a minute with something else.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With Mr.2 YO I get on my knees do I'm on his level put my hands on his cheeks, get him to look at me and (try) to calmly talk him down IYKWIM get him to stop crying and make him see he looks silly and everyone around us thinks he looks silly