+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you can't or don't want to BF, then formula is fine.

Life can go on. (This was important for me, as I had assumed that baby meant life was over/ being in pyjamas all day. Great if that's what you want - but I didn't, and it was such a relief to find that I could still dress nicely/ do make-up/ go out of an evening/ feel human).

They get lots more fun the older they get. Every month that passes I think how much more awesome DD is.

You may find you have turned into an emotional wreck that cries at anything. Babies/ children on TV shows become your baby (in your mind). DD is nearly 2, and I cried at The Hunger Games just thinking about how I would feel if DD had to go on it!

Get a pram that has LOTS of room for shopping on it

Everyone has an opinion on what to do with your child. Learn to nod and ignore.

Buy spares of any favourite/ beloved toys. DD has had the same one since 7mths on, and I wish I had bought more at the time. (Can't get them now).

If you get one that sleeps well/ doesn't cry then don't panic! You might be lucky. DD was like that, and I cried on midwives, insisting there must be something wrong as 'all babies cry/ wake up'. I had no experience of babies prior to DD and thought they all cried lots/ woke up in the night. A lot of them do, but some don't.

You can still travel with babies/ children, but they are definitely easier on aeroplanes when they are very little. And you may have to slow down your usual pace of sightseeing.

Talk to them all the time. Tell them what you're doing/ what they're doing. They pick up everything, and will amaze you by repeating stuff back to you that you said to them when they were lots younger.

If you're a 'photo person' then get a photographer organised for those early newborn pics. I didn't with DD, and wished I had.

Consider having no visitors/ limited visitors at the hospital. We had none on the first day, but it went crazy after that. I wanted to see people, but it got overwhelming at the time.

Know when you need a break, and know that needing a break does not make you any less of a person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing for tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Day 3 is very, very real.

I am very used yo hospitals and have spent alot of time in them and day 3 hit me like a ton of bricks,
    I had a midwife I didn't like on day 3 and just cried when she left the room in the morning

By evening I was a sobbing mess texting mum just saying I hate it here, I want to go home, they aren't helping me at all anyway and saying to my newbie son I can't help you, you won't latch at all and as a result you're screaming I just. Can't. Help. you.

Was horrible til mum called and half way through went oh its day 3, you'll be okay tomorrow don't worry its just day 3 pmsl

Sure enough the next day I was fine lol
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do your own research. Read everything you can find. I can't tell you how many things I have done an about-face on after doing research. Do make use of people and listen to advice, but you don't have to try everything suggested to you.

My biggest tip is look into calmbirth/hypnobirthing, it doesn't work for everyone, but I found that it really, really helped me. BUT, dont let it be the only preparation you do. Make a list of all the different things that you can do to get through it

Don't let the labour be the main focus, remember that there will be a baby to care for afterwards lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

wrena  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't "spoil" babies by having lots of cuddles, by holding them when they need to be held, by feeding them when they want to be fed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    -The bleeding after birth may not last as long as the books say, everyone is different mine was 10 days
    -You may have thought you would have no energy for DTD but some people like frisky teens after having the baby
    -DTD before 6wk check up is ok
    -They cost you money everyday their is always something we run out of or forget or bub simply outgrows quicker than you imagined
    -just becuase the book says this is how many layers a baby should wear, all babies are different and some simply dont need all those layers. (My baby feels like she is on fire all the time despite being healthy)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP take your friend some nipple cream whilst she is in hospital. Its called Lanisoh I think. It saved me when I was in pain from starting to breastfeed.
    Another tip I have would be to RELAX. Babies pick up on your mood and I believe that a relaxed mum means a relaxed bub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirstyandmick View Post
    -just becuase the book says this is how many layers a baby should wear, all babies are different and some simply dont need all those layers. (My baby feels like she is on fire all the time despite being healthy)
    Same here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put money aside for a lactation consultant and have the visit scheduled for the day after you get home. I paid $150 for as long as I needed and it saved me. Hands on is great and they have awesome ideas to make breastfeeding successful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When your baby is crying and your tired ..feeling awful..put baby in pram and go walking!!..you feel so much better!!! (I walked for miles and miles)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast