+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Eliminating cleaning chemicals from the house

We are going through the process of eliminating chemicals from the house. So far I am using vinegar and bicarb for most of the cleaning, ecostore for the dishes and laundry and qv for the kids in the bath. However I am struggling with finding suitable alternatives for some things.

1. Shampoo and Detangling spray for DD. it has sodium laureth sulphate which we are trying to avoid but it just works so well! She has very curly hair than knots really easily

2. The toilet. I use disposable cleaning wipes for the toilet, duck liquid and the gel cleaner discs. Is vinegar enough to disinfect?

3. Hand soap

4. Toiletries for me and DH. Pantene Shampoo/conditioner, clean and clear facewash, Lux body wash, deodorant etc.

I have set myself a goal to be chemical free in the house by the time DS starts crawling... He's 4.5 months!

Please offer your advice, solutions, alternatives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    enjo for cleaning the whole house, inside and out. water and fibres.

organic care range if you want reasonably priced supermarket bought shampoo etc. eco store is another brand, there's heaps on the market these days

toilet - you could use eucalyptus or tea tre oil if you want

enjo also have a body care fibre

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    enjo for cleaning the whole house, inside and out. water and fibres.

organic care range if you want reasonably priced supermarket bought shampoo etc. eco store is another brand, there's heaps on the market these days

toilet - you could use eucalyptus or tea tre oil if you want

enjo also have a body care fibre
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love enjo but we just can't afford it

Thanks for the tips FITB!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So would the eucalyptus or tea tree disinfect? How much do you add to the vinegar? I use 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning now, should I use straight vinegar for the toilet?

I'm overly germaphobic about the toilet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know it's a personal thing, but you really don't need to be so scared of the loo!

there is more bacteria etc on you kitchen sink.

A bit of tea tree or euc oil diluted in a spray bottle of water is all you need. the ratio should be on the back of the bottle (you can find at woolies etc)

but just because I am an enjo lover - check this out...
    (under $100 for a glove & miracle that will last you for 3years)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2ZC...feature=relmfu

I personally still pull the tea tree or euc oil out for a refresh of the house if the kids have been lovely enough to bring a virus or someother bug home from school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,

I have a nearly chemical free house. I use bicarb, vinegar, natural liquid soap (castile soap), letric soda (washing soda), tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil for basically everything.

I purchase soap, shampoo and liquid soaps from willows natural products. I use only natural makeup, deoderant and toothpaste from miessence and get some hand made skin care from skyezone.

I make my own washing powder and dishwashing powder, although the dishes do come out cloudy and every now and then i need to run it with a normal dishwasher tablet to take the buildup off the glassware. The washing powder works well on our lightly soiled clothes - we both work in an office and dont get particularly dirty. Our clothes have a nice eucalyptus smell.

I clean the toilet with neat white vinegar in a spray bottle, then i sprinkle in bicarb and give it a scrub with the toilet brush. It comes up just as clean as all the other products. Add a bit of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil for extra disinfecting power.

I clean all of my kitchen benches and sink with neat white vinegar in a spray bottle. Sometimes i sprinkle some bicarb on the sink after spraying and rub it in, it comes up nice and shiny.

I clean the bathroom with neat vinegar in a spray bottle and a cheap enjo style mit. Again i sometimes crack out the bicarb for cleaning the glass shower screen and for the sink. I use vinegar on the mirrors.

Ive heard vinegar is an excellent disinfectant. I havent made myself or my DP sick yet!

I even wash my face with raw honey instead of facewash......

PM me if you want more info on products etc. I have spent months researching to get to this point. Maybe i can save you time.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 12-04-2012 at 22:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We use vinegar, bicarb and tea tree oil for EVERYTHING.

(sorry not for dishes or detergent though, Taiyed would you mind sharing your recipes?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With mopping, doesn't the house stink of vinegar afterwards or am I doing something wrong? I use 50/50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the process of making my house chemical free aswell! I'm loving all these tips. Isn't vinegar amazing, although I did spill 1/4 of a bottle on the carpet yesterday, but once I soaked out as much as I could you couldn't even tell! AMAZING!