+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    100% on the same page. As a pp said, we discussed it before we got engaged and then married.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think for the most part you need to be on the same page otherwise it could cause a lot of arguments, DH and I discussed a lot before we had DS, one major topic of arguments with my ex was about how we would parent and we were pretty opposite which was always a major concern for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sometimes I thnk he is on another planet, and he is very stubborn about these occasional completely unrealistic parenting ideas and won't listen to reason, then I google some info to back up what I'm saying and then he agrees. It's a PIA but he always ends up doing it the right way (my way, lol).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    We are pretty similar. Sometimes we are not good at communicating what we believe though and the perceived difference in opinion causes issues when in actual fact there isn't much of a difference at all. Does that make sense?
    Yes - that makes total sense. This is us too. Not just when it comes to parenting but other topics as well! DH and I are mostly on the same page as each other but often don't realise that!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DH and I differ alot unfortunately. He is very impatient and expects, IMO, way too much from a 26 month old.

I'm alot more patient and I also don't like to hit/spank. Although he doesn't want to hit, he likes to 'drill' home the behavioural issue for 10 min at a time. Obviously. A 2 year old doesn't have the attention spam fir a lecture of that length.

It's very difficult. I'm at home with the kids ALL the time. DH works long hours but expects to be the parent in the lead. On the flipside because I am home, I kind of expect him to follow my lead as why change things for the short time he is with the kids each day.

We clash alot because of this.

If anyone has any tips on how to reach a compromise id love to hear from you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I subscribe my the theory that it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. So if there is anything I want to let the kids do/let them go then I'll do it when he's not there Then he has to continue along with it!

That does sometimes work, but in all seriousness we are generally on the same page..... Discipline-wise has never been a problem for us....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've talked about it - but, no in reality we parent differently and it is one of our biggest issues.

DPs the 'do it NOW, because I said so'
    and I am more, 'what needs to be done, why do you think you should do it, what might happen if...'

He has little patience, I have more, he gets frustarted at the drop of a hat, it takes a lot to get me raising my voice
    ...but when in comes down to it - the kids are being influenced by both of us - they are getting a fairly balanced experience and we are building our own relationships.

We don't always present a 'united front' - bad, bad parents

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a lot more patient and can deal with the stressful situations better , but regarding our overall view on how to raise , protect, guide and nurture our kids , we are on the same page .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP and I generally have the same morals and family values despite coming from very different families.

But I do believe in structure, while dp is a go with the flow kinda person. In discipline it makes it hard because I like to have the rules and boundaries in place and agreed upon whilst dp doesn't think that far ahead or deals with it when it occurs if this makes sense..

We both get frustrated when tired and when there is no pre set rule or way of dealing with it, we can get quite cranky and ds gets told off. whereas if we're not tired he gets coddled ect. I just want a consistent approach so ds understands what's expected of him rather than being yelled at when we're having a bad moment.. Iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same page.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post: