+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mamakatd - I know its hard not to be terrified but the way I looked at was 'if it really is ashermans then there is every chance they can fix it". I travelled from far north qld to Sydney on my own to have surgery. Wishing you all the best

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amps For This Useful Post:

Starf1sh  (13-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880005

Asherman's ladies you might be interested in this recent (2013) literature review on diagnosis and treatment of AS I stumbled upon while researching for my most recent surgery (my AS has recurred after the birth of my DD).

This is the first time I've seen it acknowledged in the general medical literature that the incidence of AS is higher than 1st thought due to improved assessment techniques (& with the stats to back it up). Rather than the standard 'it's rare' misinformation most people seem to encounter.

Lots of interesting info and the abstract (summary) is definitely worth a read!
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 03-02-2015 at 20:22.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's coming up 3 years since my initial diagnosis of Asherman's Syndrome which prompted me to start this thread to both provide information to women about the risks of D&C's and alternate options for miscarriage. It also turned into a space for women who suspected they may have incurred scarring to access information about treatment and support in Australia.

I say "initial" diagnosis above as I have recently received a 2nd diagnosis of Asherman's. Again stage 3/4 'severe' and again my uterine cavity was 100% obliterated by scar tissue.

I have had no further D&C to cause this to happen. My initial severe level of scarring made me more susceptible to a recurrence and together with breastfeeding (which lowers your oestrogen levels) I am back at 'square one' to use the words of my surgeon Professor Vancaillie.

I am hopeful I may have a 2nd miracle as I still have frozen embryos, however unfortunately if I am able to hit the jackpot again with a genetically normal embryo and a good enough lining I will again face a high risk pregnancy with a 30% chance of carrying to term. But I've beaten those odds once before

If you do find yourself on the Asherman's journey know that there is access to factual information, as well as a wonderful community of support to be found through the International Asherman's Association (www.ashermans.org) and associated International and Australian AS Facebook pages. And above all there is hope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear that you have Ashermans once again Starfish, it just shows how different it can be in different women, I have had two pregnancies post Ashermans both high risk with labour and birth happening prematurely first one at 31+1 and second one at 34+5 both pregnancies the cervix opened and shortened numerous times a very scary experience but then in falling pregnant the second time, it was within the first month of trying, first baby took three years with IVF. Ashermans free with the second pregnancy as the first baby had given me a clean uterus but a permanently damaged cervix... As I said it is just to show the differences from one woman to another. All the best with your attempts Starfish I really hope you beat the odds again this time 😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to petrult For This Useful Post:

Starf1sh  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starfish, so sorry to hear that it's back. Fortunately you are in the hands of Prof V! All the best
    I'm actually not sure if my scarring has come back either...unfortunately still on the TTC train with similar symptoms as last time-so am thinking I will have to give Mere a call and see if I can book in for my follow up appointment (as I never had one).
    Anyone ever had stage 1 scarring return?

Cheers, Ruby

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby16 For This Useful Post:

Starf1sh  (19-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My FS is thinking I have Ashermans after a lot of severe complications from DDs birth. He did an ultrasound and he said it looked like the majority of my uterus is adhered and what is left has very thin lining. With this info along with obstetric history he thinks Ashermans. I saw starf1ish that you said you'd heard ultrasounds don't often show Ashermans? Because I was high risk for births anyway, and needed fertility treatment for DD and for other reasons can't have a lot of surgeries he wasn't sounding very hopeful for another successful pregnancy. Has anyone done more to confirm diagnosis without surgery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bezzy,
    Ultrasound is not considered an effective method of diagnosis. For example I've had MANY ultrasounds when I've had stage 4 (severe Asherman's) and no-one ever picked it up. Are you also having scanty periods or have they ceased altogether? As this would also be a key indicator.

You can have a HyCoSy where they inject dye directly into your uterus and in that case scarring/adhesions will show up on ultrasound but the gold standard diagnostic tool is direct visualisation by a hysteroscopy. If adhesions show up on your HyCoSy, you'll need a surgery anyway to remove the scarring.

I have had a lot of surgeries during my fertility and Asherman's journey and in my case it did not affect my ability to carry my daughter to term.

I would get in touch with Prof Vancaillie in Sydney for an opinion from an expert in the field. It's great your OB is switched on to the possibility of AS but it really needs to be appropriately assessed and treated by an expert for the best chance of success.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    An excellent resource detailing up to date Asherman's diagnosis and treatment options for those who are interested.

http://ashermansprevention.blogspot....drome.html?m=1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wishing you all the best starf1sh in your next journey ahead of you. Hoping it is a short, yet successful one. LT x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @petrult @littleTed and @Ruby16. Heading for transfer next week. Hope you are all doing well xx