+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not everyone who has a D&C (including multiple) will end up with scarring, however the risk does increase with the more procedures you have.

The purpose of this thread is not to scare women who choose this path (or who have already had a D&C) but to educate so women can be aware of the risks of having an unguided D&C and can watch out for the symptoms which might indicate a problem.

Most commonly this will be a change in their usual menstrual cycle I.e. periods become lighter or stop altogether.

On the 1st page of this thread is a more detailed list of symptoms or go to www.ashemans.org for more information.

Also contained in this thread is information on how to access help if you do suspect you have acquired Asherman's syndrome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Starf1sh, the reason I am feeling overly concerned at the moment is because after a previous D&C in 2011 my periods completely stopped for over a year and didn't start back up until my gynae (now retired) performed a laparoscopy. I assumed at the time that it was due to undiagnosed thyroid disease as I started on treatment for this at about the same time, however now I am just not sure. I can't retrieve my patient notes as he has retired and sold the practice and I wouldn't know where to start.

Having now had another D&C I am overwhelmed by the thought that this may happen again and I really regret not taking the option to miscarry at home naturally. Perhaps I miscarried (blighted ovum) due to scarring in the uterus or is this unlikely? I suppose my first step is to see if my periods return and take it from there? In your experience if they do return should I still insist on a hysteroscopy to see what/if anything is going on? Sorry for all the questions, my next appointment with the Ob is not until November and I am filled with absolute dread and worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scarring can absolutely cause a miscarriage however a blighted ovum is sadly not a viable pregnancy (caused by as random chromosomal error) and this will end the pregnancy at some stage. That said scarring can absolutely recur if it is removed by hysteroscopy. I had several surgeries to treat mine, eventually successfully fell pregnant and my scarring has since returned after the birth of my daughter.

Your records may not give you any further answers but you are entitled to apply for access to your records if the practice is still operational. Medical record are required to be held for a period of 7 years. This might be helpful: http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/1...al-record.aspx

I would wait and see what happens with your cycle and hopefully your period will return as normal If it does I think you are safe to continue TTC. If they don't or you are having difficulty falling pregnant then I'd be considering further investigations (e.g. HyCoSy where they inject dye into the uterus to check for any blockages).

Good luck and let us know how you go
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 29-09-2014 at 21:03.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

VVPreg  (29-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again,
    Just thought I would let you all know how I went- Turns out I did have Asherman’s! Stage 1, right side of uterus and slightly blocking cervix, but Prof V is confident that it won’t come back and my cycle should return to normal *phew*. So, no gel/balloon/oestrogen needed apparently.

Dye test was good as well apparently, and my tubes are all clear.

The real shocker for me, however, was that they found stage 3 Endometriosis in addition to the Asherman’s ……strangely it was more prevalent on the right side as well?!

I have always associated endo with excruciating & debilitating pain, not the pain that I had been experiencing (that only started after my miscarriage/d&c’s/infections) so I’m still trying to reconcile that in my head to be honest. Although very glad I know what we're dealing with now.

Little bit devastated that this could be an ongoing fertility issue too, however Prof V said to get cracking with the baby making as fertility is optimal after the dye test (I think his words were ‘do not let your husband out of your sight!!’).
    And now that most of the endo has been cleared as well, fertility should be best…..until it grows back (as I understand that it does come back….sometimes within as little as 9-12 mths).

AF hasn’t shown up as yet, but due any day now (thinking that the procedures won’t have altered my cycle as my hormones should be the same? Any insight would be greatly appreciated )

So, a big thankyou to all that helped me with making the decision to make the appointment with Prof V, he is such a lovely man. And to all the ladies that will be searching for answers on this thread after miscarriages and d&c’s- trust yourself! And don’t let the Doctors make you feel like you are overreacting.

Cheers Ruby xo
    Last edited by Ruby16; 29-10-2014 at 19:13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby16 For This Useful Post:

Starf1sh  (30-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ruby,
    Thanks for updating us and good on your for sticking to your guns! Great outcome on the AS stage 1 and while it's a challenge to find out about the endo at least it's been identified. Yes don't let your husband out of your sight and I hope a pregnancy swiftly follows!

In my experience your cycle can be delayed by the surgery, think it took up to 6 weeks+ post for me after some of the surgeries.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

Ruby16  (02-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, is anyone about this morning please??

@Starf1sh - can I please pick your brain for a sec??

I should've asked earlier but I have an appointment with my FS today at 11am and I'm compiling my list of questions to ask him. I've read through this thread and I don't ?think? I have Ashermans but it's definitely a possibility.

I did have a Hysteroscopy before my latest IVF cycle/chemical......my question is that if my FS said that everything looked good in there (apart from a bit of "puss"?), can I now rule out Ashermans 100% and stop thinking of it as a possibility??

Quick History......
    *I had a c/s in 2012.
    *I had a natural missed m/c in Dec 2013 at 7 weeks.
    *I had a missed m/c March 2014 followed by an unguided D&C at 11 weeks.
    *I had a natural missed m/c June 2014 at 8.5 weeks
    *I just had a chemical m/c 20th Oct at 5 weeks

I'll add that I have PCOS so I've never had a regular cycle and sometimes my AF is very heavy, sometimes it's very light....irregular unfortunately is my normal.

Thanks ladies xxx
    Last edited by Ladydee; 31-10-2014 at 07:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladydee sorry to miss your message, hope your appointment went well?

If there were no adhesions or scarring noted (or cut away) during your hyst and you haven't noticed any change to your AF it isn't likely you have AS. Maybe an idea to ask your FS what did the area around your CS scar look like as scar tissue can form there.

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses and hope you have a clearer path today to investigate further. If the problem isn't to do with the quality of the 'oven', I'd be thinking about testing for immunity issues, NK cells, checking thyroid issues etc but I'm sure you are already onto this.

All the best with no. 2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

Ladydee  (31-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Starf1sh - I did ask my question here very last minute but thanks for replying I hadn't thought of it beforehand but I did end up asking if my c/s scar looked ok from the inside and my FS said it looked fine. He showed me pics of the mucus that was floating around in there but he said that was nothing to be concerned about. I had asked him a few times about NK Cell testing in the past but he always stated that he didn't believe in it and there wasn't enough research BUT today he had the scripts already printed out for me to try the Bondi Protocol with my FET.....hopefully this gets us our healthy sticky! Thanks again and good luck to the ladies still TTC in here xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by mamakatd; 31-12-2014 at 06:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am terrified that I have Asherman's syndrome. My first d&c was in 2012 and I fell pregnant with my son within 2 weeks of it but had a subchorionic haemorrhage throughout the pregnancy. He's a healthy 18 month old now. I had my second missed miscarriage and d&c on October 23, 2014 but this time around I haven't had a period and I've been having terrible cramping. It's been 10 weeks of nothing happening. I had spotting for a few days after my d&c due to an infection, which I took antibiotics for, but no bleeding since. Doctor is concerned I may have Asherman's and is taking me for a hysteroscopy +/- laparoscopy next week. Fingers crossed it's ruled out.