+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default recommend me a book please. :)

i dunno i wanna read something good,
    please explain a Lil about the story just so i know if ill like it or not thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently reading Before I Go To Sleep. I'm really enjoying it...here's a brief description:

Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis--all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac. With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion. What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted? At the heart of S. J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep is the petrifying question: How can anyone function when they can't even trust themselves? Suspenseful from start to finish, the strength of Watson's writing allows Before I Go to Sleep to transcend the basic premise and present profound questions about memory and identity. One of the best debut literary thrillers in recent years, Before I Go to Sleep deserves to be one of the major blockbusters of the summer. --Miriam Landis

The other book I read recently and LOVED was The Room:

In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just read the Hunger Games trilogy- couldn't put them down! I've got a PDF copy if you want me to email it to you! (shhh )

Lindy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can you provide some more information, like what genre you enjoy? Makes it easier to narrow down some suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, well I've only read two other books apart from this trilogy in the last four years- as I don't really have much time to read, and have been studying at uni. But, I'm quite eclectic in my tastes- I usually read what ever one of my friends is going on about! The other books were Tully, a girl in a love triangle, and Waif, a scifi novel dad wrote.
    Have you heard about the movie The Hunger Games? It's pretty big right now!

Lindy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm reading the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy at the moment. It's er..."erotic fiction" but actually the plot and romance is really addictive. It's only available on iTunes/Amazon at the moment though I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me+he=3: you had me on the first couple lines!
    i will go down to the local library today! see if i can join and if they have them...
    lindy: They sound very interesting! but unfortunately i don't have a computer and it would cost me a fortune to print them at the net cafe. would they be at the library?
    majestic hiss: thank you, i dunno about the erotic part lol.
    mothers milk: so sad to say this will be the first time since i left school (2004) that i will be picking up a book (other than pregnancy books)
    movie wise i love chic flicks (like the notebook and dear john lol) i loved 7pounds with will smith and horror/thriller and lamely "vampire movies"
    like twilight and the tv series vampire diaries. umm there are many more but i just went blank sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment I'm nearly half way through 'I know this much is true' by Wally lamb.

It's about identical twin brothers, one sane, one paranoid schizophrenic.

It is by far the best book I've cone across in a while.

It's one on oprahs book club list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also for those who like erotic fiction... Search the author Robin Schone...

Whoa mumma her books will make you blush ;-P

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anything by Beverly Barton.
    She has quite a few genres in her collection.
    Romance, mystery, crime (with a bit of raunch).
    I've just finished her entire collection (took me a few years!).
    I like her crime ones best.

Kathy Reichs is a great author too.
    She is the real anthropologist (sp) that inspired the TV show Bones.