+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess also what makes it hard is a parent who would buy themselves smokes and alcohol before they feed their children, restricting where they can spend their money isn't necessarily going to change their priorities and make them actually feed their children.

The tiny tiny minority of people on benefits who neglect their children's basic needs, I don't think it'll make them any better parents.

If someone who has children requires their benefits to be controlled because they arent capable of caring for their family it needs to come with support and education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Should be case by case. I used to work at woolies where ppl could recieve food vouchers from st vinnies / red cross etc.. The amount of pol who then tried to use it to buy coke, chips, smokes etc... We had to refuse... I thought it was a good idea actually because then at least their children could eat half decent
    So I think it depends on the situation... Not all ppl on benefits... Only ppl who seem to be doing the wrong thing with the money (but how u would b able to find this out I don't know)
    Wow I'v never heard of people being refused chips and coke etc...Cigs and alcohol fine, but chips?? That's just weird. I wonder where they draw the line with that...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yes if there was going to be some sort of social policy about raising children. After all FTB etc is all designed to help with the cost of raising children.

I'm not saying I support any sort of blanket imposition, simply that I can see why the Government believes it has a right to impose conditions on money given to people.

When Government's start getting involved in people's lives how do you draw the line in the sand for when that ends? They have the responsibility to provide for citizens unable to provide for themselves - do they also then have the responsibility to ensure they do then provide for themselves properly etc?
    I think governments have a huge responsibility in making sure they are getting people to be sufficient. This is just my opinion but I think they should make people do full time school or have a job much earlier than 8 years that is too long IMO and puts people at a disadvantage later in life people can potentially be out of work for 24 years how is this helping them to be self sufficient?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Should be case by case. I used to work at woolies where ppl could recieve food vouchers from st vinnies / red cross etc.. The amount of pol who then tried to use it to buy coke, chips, smokes etc... We had to refuse... I thought it was a good idea actually because then at least their children could eat half decent
    So I think it depends on the situation... Not all ppl on benefits... Only ppl who seem to be doing the wrong thing with the money (but how u would b able to find this out I don't know)
    Whats the point in vouchers then, they should just provide food rather than vouchers if people don't have a choice anyway??

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I do actually, but only for one certain group of ppl. I think if children are known to social services (child protection) where the child is not getting fed, clothed, medical treatment etc. In those cases I think their should be some sort of system that allocates a certain amount of pension payment (not full amount) for the childs direct care.

I think it should be a debit card type thing that can be used at the supermarket (any supermarket they chose including fruit and veg markets), chemists and that sort of thing. I don't think the card should allow purchases of tabacco or alchohol.

How it would work in reality I don't know - maybe its impossible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I think governments have a huge responsibility in making sure they are getting people to be sufficient. This is just my opinion but I think they should make people do full time school or have a job much earlier than 8 years that is too long IMO and puts people at a disadvantage later in life people can potentially be out of work for 24 years how is this helping them to be self sufficient?
    Sorry could you clarify that, I don't understand. What's 8 years?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (13-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is already a system that does that Button. The Basics card is available for those who request it and also those who are deemed at risk; known to child services but also people in Aboriginal communities up north.

There are a lot of flaws in that system.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Wow I'v never heard of people being refused chips and coke etc...Cigs and alcohol fine, but chips?? That's just weird. I wonder where they draw the line with that...
    I would hope that's very rare. I don't feel it's a supermarket's role to enforce nutrition in families, especially when they are the ones stocking the garbage. If the junk food us refused, do they then have a qualified nutritionist to point them in the right direction? It's no right of theirs to tell a family what they can eat, even if it's unhealthy. There's currently no laws against junk.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012),shelle65  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    The age of the last child before you have to work or go to school it actually may be 7 now

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I suspect it is the 8 years we are allowed to lounge around on PPS.