+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So what about the people who work part time and still receive a benefit? They are a taxpayer just like everyone else and should not have to have anyone tell them what to do with the benefit.

Centerpay already exists these days. A lot of real estate agents won't offer rentals to benefit recipients unless they agree to pay with Centerpay.
    Centerlink also has measures in place for people who want to save up to pay their utilities.
    I think this is enough. Leave it to be a voluntary commitment, so if it doesn't work out you can always change.
    Besides, those who have bad budgeting skills don't have an excuse to fall short all the time. There are plenty of.organizations out there who will help you set up a budget that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I need to be clear though, in case my previous posts aren't read, my concerns are for extreme cases with children or other vulnerable parties not for general application to everyone.
    Yep that already happens. I had 4 kids in my care because their mother neglected them. Got money, went to get a tattoo, couldn't afford enough food for the fn for all of them. After she got them back, she lost them again. Bought $800 worth of swimwear and summer dresses for herself but had the power cut off. At first she was assisted with meal plans, budgeting, full time subsidised childcare to allow time for it all, then she was made to use Centrepay for phone/power and given most of her FTB in Woolies/Caltex vouchers to use as a debit card. 3 years on, she now has full control again but chooses to keep Centrepay for phone and power. Her house is owned outright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi shareabook, would you say that assistance and enforced direct debit setup has helped that lady and her children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hi shareabook, would you say that assistance and enforced direct debit setup has helped that lady and her children?
    Yes, but there was far more to it than can be written here. She was closely monitored by child safety, Centacare and Red Cross, as well as social workers at Centrelink before that and has since been supported in case it gets to that again. It is a very personalised program, not something that can be slapped on people willy nilly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes, but there was far more to it than can be written here. She was closely monitored by child safety, Centacare and Red Cross, as well as social workers at Centrelink before that and has since been supported in case it gets to that again. It is a very personalised program, not something that can be slapped on people willy nilly.
    Yes I know what you mean... it really only has any long term benefits if it is case by case and education intensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there has been a proven case of neglect etc of the children. Case by case basis only. No blanket approval

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So do you think that should include FTB, BB and PPL?
    Yes if there was going to be some sort of social policy about raising children. After all FTB etc is all designed to help with the cost of raising children.

I'm not saying I support any sort of blanket imposition, simply that I can see why the Government believes it has a right to impose conditions on money given to people.

When Government's start getting involved in people's lives how do you draw the line in the sand for when that ends? They have the responsibility to provide for citizens unable to provide for themselves - do they also then have the responsibility to ensure they do then provide for themselves properly etc?
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 13-04-2012 at 06:42.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I'm gonna step out on a limb here (how unusual for me ...!) and say that I totally support the use of food / grocery vouchers for at least half of child-related welfare benefits.

The way I see it, taxpayers (us) are providing these payments to assist families, particularly children, in order to ensure that they have the basics.

What's more basic than food, clothing, nappies, formula, fuel etc? I would be absolutely fine with the money I receive in benefits being paid in kind. I didn't "earn" it, as such. I see it as being given in trust for my kids to make sure they're okay.

If I want luxuries, I buy them with the money I earn (or that DH does). We get to have absolute control over that.

I don't see this as a poor / rich anyone "bashing" debate. Everyone has food and grocery bills. What's the prob with designating a certain proportion of govt handouts specifically to them?
    Someday soon I will be a taxpayer as well and I will be happy to know that the tax I pay goes to funding public things (hospitals, parks, roads etc)and and helping those less fortune than myself.

I budget well, I shop at places where I get the best value for money and if I was given a card and made shop at either coles or wollies I would be far worse of financially than I am now, I pay 30 dollars and get a fridge full of fresh produce, 30 dollars wouldn't get me enough for 3 days from bigger chains.

Our pets food comes from a local food store, I pay 6 dollars for 5 kilos of pellets, at woolworths I would be made to pay 7 dollars for 2 kilos ...

How is that set up going to be better for my child (who goes without nothing) than my current one?

And if I wish to budget and save why shouldn't my son and I have treats occasionally?
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Should be case by case. I used to work at woolies where ppl could recieve food vouchers from st vinnies / red cross etc.. The amount of pol who then tried to use it to buy coke, chips, smokes etc... We had to refuse... I thought it was a good idea actually because then at least their children could eat half decent
    So I think it depends on the situation... Not all ppl on benefits... Only ppl who seem to be doing the wrong thing with the money (but how u would b able to find this out I don't know)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    Should be case by case. I used to work at woolies where ppl could recieve food vouchers from st vinnies / red cross etc.. The amount of pol who then tried to use it to buy coke, chips, smokes etc... We had to refuse... I thought it was a good idea actually because then at least their children could eat half decent
    So I think it depends on the situation... Not all ppl on benefits... Only ppl who seem to be doing the wrong thing with the money (but how u would b able to find this out I don't know)
    Your Woolies refused people buying coke and chips with vouchers?