+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Id love for my mum to be made to have a basic type card thingy. She is schizophrenic and an alcoholic...every week my family are there on her doorstep manipulating her into handing over her cash to them. She gives in because they get nasty and then she has to borrow money to live.

If she had one of these cards, she would only be able to buy food and they wouldnt be able to get cash off her.

So I support it in some circumstances, namely those that Artful had said.
    That's sad, and I agree that it could benefit your mother. It's really tricky in those situations, because there isn't a great program or system in place to help mentally ill people function in everyday life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    That's sad. I'm pretty sure you can apply for them if you want. Or she could get her bills centrepayed before her money comes in.
    She won't apply for one because she likes to spend at least some of her money on her voddy...and they do pay her bills, she gets everything paid for except her food/living expenses....as does my sister who is an alcoholic and has 3 kids to 3 different knob heads and leaves them with my mother constantly whilst she goes out partying and spending her weekly money on booze and fags.
    They meanwhile get fed toast for dinner most nights because its all my mother can handle making...
    Makes me so mad.

THESE are the kind of people I think should have shopping freakin delivered to their door, and doc their weekly allowance for it.
    At least the I could sleep easy knowing my niece and nephews were getting fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely in instances that the person on benefits has proven on more than one occasion that they are spending the governments money on illegal things or in a neglectful way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to karisha For This Useful Post:

Pommymumofthree  (12-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. If I had all my money put into a basics card, I wouldn't be able to save like I currently am. We are not eligible for much FTB but because I am not working, that's my allowance to do with what I want. I was able to save up enough to buy myself a car outright.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ItWasntMe For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. Definitely not.

I am sure that the majority of people in receipt of benefits make the most of the money they receive and are in a much better position to determine their priorities each fortnight, whether that be food, bills, luxuries etc. It would be dreadful if the government took control of people's lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think only if a person requested it....otherwise no.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-04-2012),MissMuppet  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ugh imagine the time and resources and money it would take for the government to control where people's benefits go. I'd prefer they gave the money to something more practical like better paid social workers, more government funding in that area, more times spent in education. I'm pretty capable of budgeting so I'd prefer the government to put there's money where it's needed.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (12-04-2012),Annabella  (15-04-2012),Benji  (12-04-2012),Jakois  (12-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (12-04-2012),MissMuppet  (12-04-2012),shelle65  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would only support income management on a case-by-case basis if there is evidence the person cannot manage their own money, to their detriment.

For example, my brother is on DSP due to mental illness (schizophrenia and bipolar). If his pension when directly into his bank account, he would spend the whole amount on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and rubbish. he would not pay his rent, and be homeless and malnourished. the public trustee are his financial administrators, and pay his bills and hand out cash to him in small amounts. my dad gives him a bit of extra money by way of a supermarket card which cannot be used for alcohol.

I vehemently oppose any generalised policy of people on welfare having the money paid in kind, by store cards etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the individual required it, sure.

I don't think it teaches the necessary money management skills.

I'd rather see payments cut and children's necessities supplied by the government. For ALL children.

For a start, breakfast and lunches supplied in school, this ensures kids are getting at least two healthy, nutritious meals a day.

Poor diet isn't exclusively the lowest income level families issue, I know plenty of wealthy kids who have Maccas breakfast and a crap lunch every day.

Good meals ensure kids are able to learn better. Better educated kids = brighter future for Australia.

Fees, books, uniforms supplied...

There is no way anyone can suggest we let kids go without these things because their parents can't/won't provide them.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-04-2012),MissMuppet  (12-04-2012),mrsd  (12-04-2012),shelle65  (13-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (12-04-2012)