+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Yeah I'll just put my laptop down, stop getting a degree, skip work this afternoon, and hop down to the local community kitchen to earn my keep. Oh if it wasn't so ridiculous I'd weep.
    You make me laugh...I very nearly spit red bull on my 'puter.

Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Blissed, Artful; Schools in England where I come from have only one meal a day which obviously is lunch. There is no option for a second meal. Some schools do a breakfast club (if you live in the posh parts which my fam don't) but you have to pay a certain amount for that, I think it's like 7 pounds a week, which is a lot to struggling families.
    When I was at school they had mini meals and maxi meals. Mini meals were for families whos lunches were paid for by the government, and usually consisted of a minuscule amount, 2 small potato balls the size of a 50c piece and a slice o thin ham, with a carton of warm milk.

Maxi meals were for families who paid the 11 pounds a week for their lunches, because there mums and dads worked. They would have for instance, 5 potato balls and 2 slices of ham, semolina pudding and a tall container of milk because they paid extra for more milk.

I always envied maxi meal kids, sometimes they would get completely different meals to us, we'd have a cardboard fishfinger and an unfrozen smiley face, and they'd have lovely pies and chips with gravy.

The dinner ladies were openly disgusted at the amount the mini meal kids got, we would have finished eating before we even sat down..and they made us line up separately.
    That must of been super degrading. How absolutely horrible.

Out of curiosity, did it result in bullying or confidence issues or anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    You make me laugh...I very nearly spit red bull on my 'puter.

That must of been super degrading. How absolutely horrible.

Out of curiosity, did it result in bullying or confidence issues or anything?
    Bullying a little, mostly it was just being told you were poor and your parents were lazy because they didnt work.....
    You didn't need to be bullied though to feel the humiliation of lining up in the mini meal line, right opposite the maxi meal line and have them all look at you and know you were different. That kinda sucked.
    Confidence issues absolutely, but then I can't say it was just because of that, if you have read a lot of my posts you will know it stems from everything going on at home also...always feeling different and an outsider was just part of every day life.

Anyways, im derailing this thread sorry!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    I know that with me typing this that some ppl will not like it but I don't know..... Lol I always dreamed that instead of a centerline payment or a single parenting payment, the type where a child was born without a relationship, there would be a big community like community housing but those ppl would have to work for their money by working in a communal kitchen, where they would be supplied with all meals, grounds keeping, childcare, etc at the same time these ppl will get a certificate for what they are doing as a job so that they have experience and accreditation for the future.
    Like a gulag...?

Anyway, most people who receive an income support benefit (eg. parenting payment, youth allowance/ausstudy, newstart, disability) either have some activity to undertake or a reason not to. Ie. they are caring for children full time, studying, unable to work due to a medical condition, or people on newstart have to visit job network providers and eventually undertake work for the dole.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Yeah I'll just put my laptop down, stop getting a degree, skip work this afternoon, and hop down to the local community kitchen to earn my keep. Oh if it wasn't so ridiculous I'd weep.
    I absolutely love your posts! They make me snort with laughter so often!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I think governments have a huge responsibility in making sure they are getting people to be sufficient. This is just my opinion but I think they should make people do full time school or have a job much earlier than 8 years that is too long IMO and puts people at a disadvantage later in life people can potentially be out of work for 24 years how is this helping them to be self sufficient?
    You are aware that as a parent on benefits you have to go on job search once your child starts primary school right?

I don't personally know ANY child just starting school at 8 years old :/

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gothchick- don't be sorry for derailing!! It was really interesting, and sounds awful like enforced discrimination. Blissedouts idea was for everyone to receive exactly the same nutritious meal, which in theory would be great

Broomdyke - I'm sorry but I don't like that idea at all! Like someone else pointed out, it's like a Dickensian work house idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    its not a bad idea, except the school meals historically the world over have been awful quality. And like you said what about kids who don't go to school? Although maybe this would encourage them to go? I don't knwo much about it, but is unattendance normally because the child doesn't want to know and parents don't enforce, is it parents stopping them going.
    I've taught in a lower socio economic area and the attendance is good... Because the kids don't get their government payment unless they to to school. They were hell and disruptive because they clearly didn't want to be there :|

A lot of schools do the breakfast club thing, great idea.
    I think the point with nutritious meals being provided was great but agree that it should be the same quality for all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it should only be monitored and restricted if people have proven they cannot deal with their money properly on their own. Assuming anyone on benefits cannot do this is unfair and ridiculous.

Some people also may need their money for different things... or they may be better at sticking to a budget, so while the government may allocate X amount a fortnight for food and similar, that person may not NEED that much spent on those items, and instead would prefer to use the money on something else.

I also think it would be terribly embarrassing for people to have to admit their financial status just to purchase basic goods... because that's what you'd be doing by handing over a basics card. It's nobody else's business if you are receiving Centrelink benefits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope, i don’t think you should dictate to anyone how to spend their government income, its demoralising and it would mean that some people who budget really well on what they are given would be punished for those few who perhaps abuse the system.

I don’t think you can compare it though to having your wage from an employer quarantined.

I think these topic’s really fire people up because unfortunately we all know a small amount of people who abuse the system. It makes me really cranky that a lot of my friends work full time till 8 months pregnant and then go back to work at 9-12 months (as i will) because they need to income to survive and can’t get benefits, while i know quite a few sahm’s who have been at home for like 5 years who can claim centrelink benefits and stay home for their entire pregnancies and while their children are small. They have time during the day to take the kids to the library and swimming because they don’t have to work or juggle work and child care.

I know two mums that purposefully went out and got pregnant to one night stands when their first child was about to start kindy, purely so they could stay home and claim the income for the next kid. They always have money for smokes, magazines, beers (because they have government housing) and they both openly state they will have more kids so they don’t have to work. I think its people like this, that spoil it for the rest. Having said that though, i don’t think at the end of the day, that you can tell people what to spend their income on. You’d never be able to police it and it would hurt more people than it helped.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (13-04-2012),share a book  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think schools can make a bigger impact than the government can when it comes to feeding and caring for kids.
    Breakfast clubs are a good idea. As long as it's accessible for ALL kids and not just the poor/rich ones. That way you keep humiliation at bay. Plus if you combine a fun activity with it like story telling while the kids eat, it might even be more popular.
    I know that if I were hungry and knew there was a nice meal and a heater/aircon waiting for me at school, I would rather go there than trawling the streets in the cold/heat.

GothChick, this is another reason why I hate the while public/private system still existing in the UK and Australia.
    In the Netherlands there is no such thing as private hospitals or private schools anymore. Everyone is equal and receives the same education. Simple.

About uniforms, I know at the end of financial year I usually get a little extra payment from Centerlink, can't remember what it's called anymore. Something to do with taxes. iInstead of giving that in cash, why not give it in the form of a voucher to be used to purchase uniforms and books?