+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also about private emergency departments , if the hospital has one they usually have a tier of costs and it starts around $100 for a small injury or illness up to $300 on the spot and if you have PHI and you are admitted then it is covered by the health fund if you have the right cover. You can request to be taken to the private emergency dept if being taken by ambulance but it will depend on their level of care they can provide for the patients illness or injury as to if they can take you or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    He is ok, assured he has followed procedure.

It happened on Wednesday. I'm surprised the media hasn't jumped all over it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The media stay away from cases like that for fear of litigation, generally.

I feel very sorry for the lady & her family; however complications happen everyday, at every hospital. If you ever sit in a hospital for 24hrs 'code blue' is called many times a day, and that's not including pts in ED and theatre.
    In respect to the private hosp, if they thought she was a risk they always bypass to the publics, and its up to the Admitting Officer in ED at that particular hosp to say no this pt is not appropriate for our hospital, also Ambo's have guidelines for which level which hospitals are for certain conditions. For example in Melbourne, Sunshine hospital can take Chest pain patients but if the Ambos on route think the patients is having a heart attack they have to drive past to the Royal Melb.
    I understand the poor lady had a terrible set of circumstances but the end result could have been the same at a fantastic major hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The whole system is at fault. A lot of private hospitals wont take 'emergencies', if the other one didn't have beds.......and then they had to drive further- placing the woman and her baby at further risk.
    It's definately not the ambos- they're following orders. Its our crappy health system thats too damn bureaucratic for it's own good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    The whole system is at fault. A lot of private hospitals wont take 'emergencies', if the other one didn't have beds.......and then they had to drive further- placing the woman and her baby at further risk.
    It's definately not the ambos- they're following orders. Its our crappy health system thats too damn bureaucratic for it's own good.
    Completely agree! I think it's a huge failure of our health system. I'm not sure you can point the finger at one individual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    He is ok, assured he has followed procedure.

It happened on Wednesday. I'm surprised the media hasn't jumped all over it!
    I'm delivering at St George Private but as others have mentioned this situation could unfortunately happen anywhere.