+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I burst the bubble on strong pelvic floors? Im a yoga/pilates nut and prior to DDs birth had a very strong pelvic floor only to have a hard labour cos it was too strong and her head could push thru properly. Her head tilted and ended up posterior. She had to vac extracted.

This time I'm avoiding strengthening it too much during pregnancy but will save it for post baby.

I agree with PP. If you have had the fitness pre baby continue. I'm still doing body pump at 32wks with body balance and pilates. Be careful with swimming in late pregnancy as it can cause the baby to de-engage due to buoyancy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HouseOfFun  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am. Just 4 weeks and bit though. Was running every day before though. Took a few weeks off for IVF but am clear to start again.

Trying to keep to short runs and to not get overheated so running early in the morning. Thank goodness it's nearly winter.

Am swimming more often now, used to be once a week for an hour but cutting back to 40 and trying it twice a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Izzys Mummy - my mother in law had the same problem back in her day.

I met with my OB for the first time last week (im 9 weeks) and i asked him about running and he said its perfectly fine and will not hurt the baby at all, in fact he said it will help keep my joints and muscles strong as i get bigger. Obviously you listen to your body and if your back or anything hurts you stop! Im only doing small distances of 5-7kms and i feel great, my heart rate sits at around 150-165bpm and my OB said that is fine, mostly because i had the fitness before hand and my body is comfortable at keeping at that bpm for an extended time. As i get bigger i'll just play it by ear and see how i feel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sjcreevey For This Useful Post:

romaverona  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Can I burst the bubble on strong pelvic floors? Im a yoga/pilates nut and prior to DDs birth had a very strong pelvic floor only to have a hard labour cos it was too strong and her head could push thru properly. Her head tilted and ended up posterior. She had to vac extracted.

This time I'm avoiding strengthening it too much during pregnancy but will save it for post baby.

I agree with PP. If you have had the fitness pre baby continue. I'm still doing body pump at 32wks with body balance and pilates. Be careful with swimming in late pregnancy as it can cause the baby to de-engage due to buoyancy.
    Izzys Mummy - I would love to have a good chat with you

I got super into health nutrition an d fittness after bub #2 and wound up with seriously toned everything and feeling great.. Always love to hear from people who are educated in anything health and fittness, never too late to learn something new!

OP- I was running until about 8 weeks (Previously running up to 5k in 29min 18 months post bub #2) then my body decided no and I threw up one day then just couldnt do it without belly hurting.

I gave up and got depressed about it for a while, stopped watching what I ate and excercising much at all..

Since 20 weeks I sucked it up again and began lighter speedwalking (between 6-6.6k speed) for 3-4 ks every night and cleaned up my diet as much as I could, gradually cutting things out and replacing with good wholesome foods again.

I'm now 29+3 weeks and have started a health challenge of purely clean eating (only moderate complex carbs, Low GI, High protien, balanced meals daily) taking note of how much of each nutrients im having throughout the day, 0 junk including beloved chocolate and plenty of fresh veges and home made salads, lean meats, eggs, wholemeal/multigrain brown breads, milk, organice yoghurt with no added sugar, some darem wheat pasta etc etc

Ive managed to balance out 4-5 days a week of alternating my speedwalks with light muscle toning excercises with super light weights.. I do a little bit of squats, lunges, military press and stuff like that. NOTHING core foccussed and lots of light cardio

I think in the long run if you stay fit and strong within reason throughout pregnancy it is better for you! Especially for labour and recovery, and eating only the healthiest and huge range of healthy (so no cutting out anything with nutritional content or fad diet BS) is incredible for baby Making sure you eat enough in each day to steadily gain the right weright you need to maintain bubs growth

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

Ellyjan10  (08-05-2012),romaverona  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    Izzys Mummy - I would love to have a good chat with you

I got super into health nutrition an d fittness after bub #2 and wound up with seriously toned everything and feeling great.. Always love to hear from people who are educated in anything health and fittness, never too late to learn something new!
    Just pm me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kiplusthree, I found your post really helpful and motivating.

Thanks for sharing your own experiences. All the best for your delivery.

XXX

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great Kiplusthree! I am 10+2 and the last week have been eating badly! I am usually a very good eater but somehow my normal judgement on food choices has lapsed and i feel yuk! I have just picked up James Duigan's Lean and Clean Diet book which i read post baby 1 and its all about what you said, organic (if possible) and lean meats, vegies and salad with moderate good carbs. Its a great eating plan and one which i have basically stuck to for over a year. I just need to read the part again about why sugar is the devil!
    Regarding running my ave time per km has suddenly dropped from 5.30 mins per km to 6.20! Slow but i dont care i just crusey jog along and not letting the slow pace bother me! I am still doing 2 x PT sessions a week but they are mostly weights and my trainer is great, gives me lots of breaks and has changed my training a bit since pregnant - less sprints and very high intensity cardio and more toning, back and core. So far i feel great with each session so will keep it up as long as i can!!
    But for now, time to remind myself to stop eating apple crumple and ice cream!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow so amazing to see so many people excesising so far into pregnancy. I found women's health bump issue was good. I don't want to give up running but you do have to be careful how high your heart rate gets and how hot you get especially in early pregnancy. Your body knows best. Listen to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, high tone in pelvic floor muscles can cause issues in labour. I had the same problem and unfortunately copped an episiotomy to release them. I realise now that I was trying to push too much with my pelvic floor mucles instead of relaxing them/letting them go and pushing with my upper abdominal muscles. Often when anxious your muscles will be more tense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so confused about this...I love running and am terrified of losing all my fitness. However so many people have been negative!!