+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Running while pregnant??

As the title suggests just wondering if anyone is still running/jogging now that they are pregnant?

I still am but shorter and lower intensity. Not out of breath or red in the face. Ok'd as I was doing before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, im a runner and while im only 8 weeks i am still running and see a personal trainer twice a week. With my first pregnancy i tried to keep running but the morning sickness had keeled over all day for ages so i couldnt start back up again. But, this time i am feeling good so still running. My OB said as long as you had the fitness before you fell pregnant your fine. Just dont push too hard, lots of water and if anything hurts just stop.
    I'm planning on running in the HBF Run For A Reason (14kms) at the end of May and i'll be 15 weeks, i'll just keep training if my body (or baby) lets me!
    Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not me but a friend of mine is still running 5 km everyday she is 34 weeks pregnant with her third did it with her second as well. As long as the fitness was there before then there is no problem with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Yes the fitness is already there. Last pregnancy I had to stop after about 7 weeks due to a large bleed and I lost all fitness. I've only just found out I'm pregnant again and am being cautious but still running. Running is my stress reliever and I hate not doing it.

Dr is fine as long as not out of breath (still talk) and not too hot.

Wishing you both happy healthy pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you all for staying fit. Be cautious with running/bouncing movements though as they do place added strain on your pelvic floor muscles when pregnant.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseOfFun For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ran with my twins up until about 20 weeks and then it got a bit uncomfortable, but I still did pump and spin classes until the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry but think of all that extra weight bouncing repetitively on your pelvic floor with running!! id rather lose my fitness temporarily (or switch to something less high impact) than wreck the one muscle in my body that i REALLY want to keep in good condition. im no expert but id be speaking to a womens health physio about benefits vs risks on running whilst pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not me, but a friend of mine went in a fun run a couple of weeks before giving birth and kept up the exercise throughout the pregnancy. Baby was perfectly fine and she said the exercise really helped for labour. She is fine herself now, looks fab in fact

I have a placenta previa so I am only walking, as long as you had the fitness and the blessing of treating professionals I'd say keep it up. Maybe really focus on pelvic floor as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be worried about the baby really, more long term damage to your back, joints and pelvic floor. There are plenty of other low impact exercises to do. Running is hard to give up but it's only for a little while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP told me to give up all high impact excercise including running. He instead suggested walking and swimming as safer alternatives. I'm of the mentality that it's better to be safe than sorry so I'm overly cautious.