+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chicken pox

Has anyone's bub had chicken pox? We just spent all of Easter with my grandfather and today he found out he has shingles so I'm worried that DS is going to GDR chicken pox now. We've been really lucky to have a very healthy baby who hasn't gotten sick but today he's been very sleepy. I know I can't protect him from everything and he will get sick I just wish I could.

But how did you and bubs cope with chicken pox? What did you do to handle it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your bub, Bigz?

My elder 5 kids all got CP at the same time after a trip to Sydney. E was only about 5 mths but he was fine. A bit grizzly but he wasn't quite old enough to scratch, thank goodness. The bad part really only lasts a few days from memory. If he hadn't settled, I would have given him Panadol and soothing baths.

You might want to be careful where you go if you can before you're sure whether he has it. It can be bad for preg women and oldies.
    Last edited by mrsd; 11-04-2012 at 21:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is almost 5 months I'm just keeping an eye on him. I called the health nurse hotline and they said he should be ok because I had chicken pox when I was young so he should have some kind of immunity to it through something (i forget what it was called - some strange medical word) and he didn't come into contact with the wounds so he should be fine. I'll still keep an eye on him just to be sure. We'll also stay away from people as much as we can. My husband said he's heard of people that have pox parties so that their kids can get it so they don't when they are older coz it's safer for younger kids. But I don't think I'd want to give it to him on purpose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think your bub should be pretty safe.

I had shingles and my bub didn't catch it from me. The clingy toddler however was all over me and caught chicken pox from me and passed it on to all her sisters (including 6mo bub).

The bub wasn't overly distressed. She had a high temperature and drank more than usual, but wasn't even grizzly. It is the older ones that were more upset about the illness, especially since it meant time off preschool/school. And the toddler was terrible at scratching her sores, thus giving herself many permanent scars.