+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 9 week old not sleeping- not sure what else to do.

My baby boy is 9 weeks old and had never been a good sleeper. Everyone would tell me the first six weeks all they do is eat and sleep but not my baby. He hardly slept at all he even started refusing the breast thank goodnesd we got over that slthough he does still do it when he is really tired He fights himself not to go to sleep all the time. One day he went twelve hrs without sleep!!!!! Most days it is about four or five hrs. And when I do finally get him to sleep as soon as I put him down he wakes or only lasts fifteen mins. I spend so much time letting him sleep on me and not game to move The only time he sleeps longer is in his swing. But I can't take it everywhere with me and I don't want him to only go to sleep in there. Otherwise I get him to sleep on the boob, been trying with a dummy, walking, patting, rocking etc but usually ends in a screaming baby. Not sure what else to do. The only good thing is the last few weeks when I do get him to sleep at night he does sleep for four hrs then two hrs and sometimes if I'm lucky another one hr. Before that he was waking every hr and a half. I don't really get to put him down all day because he is so tired and cranky. I've been to the Gp, health clinic but no one has any answers for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't offer any night time ideas but I found a sling great for during the day. DD would sleep happily for about half an hour so I could do washing or even eat! good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like DS2. The only way I could get him to sleep and stay asleep is if I put him on his tummy. I use to watch him bc I was paranoid as they say it is such a no no. He still sleeps on his tummy today.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    at this age id just do whatever works so you get some rest.
    dd was in her sling/on my boob 24/7 until she was 3months old, and started in the bassinet/pusher/etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    For nearly the first year after having DD1, I held her in my arms & attached to my boob for most of her day sleeps. It wasn't a drama as I had nothing better to do and got a lot of reading done. She slept in her pram though or the car if we went out. She also slept well in the hug a bub and Ergo. Once she got more mobile I would lay a mattress on the floor and hold her for barely a minute and she would be asleep. She eventually asked to sleep in her cot and hasn't looked back. She is now sleeping in a bed and we've not had any problems with her getting out. We've only had a handful of unsettled nights and that was probably a teething issue. She started sleeping through the night at about 16 months but was always easy to settle back to sleep after a feed or whatever. We think it's because we didn't stress about the day sleeps and force her to be in her cot when she didn't want to be. We also don't do crying it out or controlled crying or whatever other names it goes by. DD2 is the opposite and demands to be put down for her sleeps.

Do whatever works for you & your little one.

I used to worry that by holding her I was going to make it hard for anyone else to look after her as it's a bit much to ask someone to hold your baby while it sleeps (thank goodness for understanding grandmothers) but it worked out ok and the time has just flown by. It seems like so long ago & I miss those hours of snuggle time and don't regret a minute!
    I read somewhere that sleep leads to more sleep or something like that so if you can work out something to manage the day sleeps, the night sleep might settle too eventually.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar story and DS and I went and stayed 5 nights at Masada Mother Baby Unit when he was 13 weeks. It really saved us, I was so stressed all the time about DS only getting very minimal light sleep. Now he sleeps 15-18 hrs in 24. Might be worth calling them and having a chat to see if it's something you'd like to try.