+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have two godmothers and two godfathers for our children. As the people we chose had very different but good aspects that would benefit our little ones at different times of their life.

The sort of people and their qualities that we chose were important:

for dd:
    1 godmother: is very much about an equal world and women's rights, recycle and quality of life (non religious) we chose as we wanted a strong, confident female role.
    1. Godfather:Is a lovely husband who appreciates women and truly cares and would be there till the very end for anyone of us
    Another godmother: Is has faith in god and knowledge to if our dd needed questions answered. She is also very loveing, honest and whether you like it or not she believes in doing the right thing. She is sweet and very humble.
    The other godfather: is very different, eccentric, creative, artistic, her uncle and some what softens him and brings so much light when they are together. A very special bond.

With ds:
    1 godfather: Is adventurous, handy, manly man (enjoys the boys stuff) kind and loving and plays well with ds
    The other godfather is: much the same but a family man who understands responsibility etc.
    1 godmother is: very religious and can contribute that way.
    The other: a dear friend who will always be there for him through thick and thin and climb mountains for him.

We had ds very young and therefore all the people we new were too very young. We wish we had have put more thought into it tbh. Where as with dd we had met more like minded mature people and are very happy with who we chose.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also we didn't want family as they will always be there anyway. It's not about honoring the godparents but more creating a bigger family for your child IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    We have two godmothers and two godfathers for our children. As the people we chose had very different but good aspects that would benefit our little ones at different times of their life.

The sort of people and their qualities that we chose were important:

for dd:
    1 godmother: is very much about an equal world and women's rights, recycle and quality of life (non religious) we chose as we wanted a strong, confident female role.
    1. Godfather:Is a lovely husband who appreciates women and truly cares and would be there till the very end for anyone of us
    Another godmother: Is has faith in god and knowledge to if our dd needed questions answered. She is also very loveing, honest and whether you like it or not she believes in doing the right thing. She is sweet and very humble.
    The other godfather: is very different, eccentric, creative, artistic, her uncle and some what softens him and brings so much light when they are together. A very special bond.

With ds:
    1 godfather: Is adventurous, handy, manly man (enjoys the boys stuff) kind and loving and plays well with ds
    The other godfather is: much the same but a family man who understands responsibility etc.
    1 godmother is: very religious and can contribute that way.
    The other: a dear friend who will always be there for him through thick and thin and climb mountains for him.

We had ds very young and therefore all the people we new were too very young. We wish we had have put more thought into it tbh. Where as with dd we had met more like minded mature people and are very happy with who we chose.
    Thanks, a great response and some excellent points

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me (as i'm not religious), godparents are a way of forging an extra bond between someone and the family. I'm godparent to my [now] bestfriends daughter - even though we didn't know each other that well when she was born. Gut instinct i think. but over the course of that little girls life, her mum and i have become sisters
    And she considered re-cycling me for the next child, but in the end we both decided that she should use someone else because that way there's a more tangible bond for another non-family member to the child (and i play the same role in all the kids lives anyway - so its not like 'my' godchild gets special privilege - but she was the initial anchor, kwim?)

So i think going for the person who'll be most involved. if your friend #4 will do the job well, then definitely choose her. if you think one of your other friends might become more involved because she's been given the title, then that could be a compelling thing as well.

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We made some bad choices for godparents.

DD1's was family (cousin). Long story short, we got sick of making all the phone calls and doing all the visiting. We stopped calling and they didn't ring. DD1 doesn't even know them.

For DD2 & DD3 we chose my sister which was of course a great choice. But for a godfather we chose my mums partner which we later found out is a verbal abusive and manipulative you know what. I will never let him anywhere near any of my girls now and we don't speak to him.

I have 2 Aunties and an Uncle as my godparents. If I could do it all again I think I would have just had both our sisters for all 3 girls.

You can do whatever you want. You could do the same godparents or the 3 friends or even the 3 friends plus a godfather.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to change the orginal question but is choosing a godparent actually a legal process? Where does one go to do this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Sorry to change the orginal question but is choosing a godparent actually a legal process? Where does one go to do this?
    A god parent is someone who supports your child through their spiritual journey. They're generally not the person who cares for the child in the event something happens to both parents, unless it's stated in the parents will. A god parent is appointed at a christening/baptism/other spiritual blessing ceremony, and the ceremony is just a ceremony.

I think people get confused with the idea of a godparent, and who is responsible in the death of both parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    No worries - a thought I've had too. Generally they tend to be the same people as someone I'd choose who best matches godparent criteria is also someone I'd want to raise my child in the event of our passing (touch wood!)