+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Godmother criteria?

Little bubby needs a godmumma and god papa. DH has chosen a suitable godfather but I'm stuck on godmum. What should the criteria be? My best friend who I also consider a soul mate is godmum to DS but this bub im not so sure. There are 3 close friends who are contenders. Two are closer than the third but the third is very much involved in DS' life and is around more (the other two live far away).

So, in a nutshell - what criteria do you look for in a godparent?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not religious, but if I was looking for a god parents, I would look for someone who I think is a good role model for my child, and is also kind hearted and of sound morals.
    Last edited by Luna Lovegood; 11-04-2012 at 17:13.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My godparents (can't actually remember who they are now whoops) were chosen so that they could be my guardians if something happened to my parents. So I'd be choosing someone who is siilar in age to you.

Also Lunas points are very good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Godparents are supposed to be those who you know will be very involved in your childs life, support you, take a special interest in the child but not necessarily whom you will leave your children to should something happen to you and someone whom believes in what you believe.

eg; Our ds's have the same god parents. We are catholic so the god parents are also catholic and have the same beliefs we do. The god parents will have a big impact in our childrens lives in that they will assist us in bringing our children up in the christian faith, setting an example of christian living, helping them grow in the faith of god, father, son and holy spirit.

But they are not whom will be raising our boys should something happen to dh and myself. We chose other close friends for other reasons.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we arent religious but dds godmother is a mum of 4 great kids/teens, has a heart full of love and generousity, and is someone i trust 100% with raising my child.
    she lives interstate, so if anything did ever happen to us, tha would be a concern.
    we have 2godsons and would like to think that their parents chose us for the same reasons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do many people reuse godparents? Ie multiple children have the same godmother and father?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are using the same godmother for both our children. DS has a godmother and godfather and DD gets christened next weekend and she will have just one godmother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tended to choose at least one family member as a godparent for each child, as at least you know you'll always retain contact with them.

We haven't had to repeat yet cos I have 8 siblings and umpteen close first cousins. We also chose the bridesmaids, best men and best friends from school whom we've retained contact with after 20 years.

For an actual baptism, godparents often have to have been baptised themselves and be an adult.

I was 13 when I was permitted to be my youngest sister's godmother.

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would chose at least one family member also. If that was not possible it would be someone I would consider being capable of watching over my children if something did happen to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by futureherder View Post
    I would chose at least one family member also. If that was not possible it would be someone I would consider being capable of watching over my children if something did happen to me.
    I'm an only child, so I don't have siblings. DH does but usually I would like my close friends (who I consider to be my family) to be involved more rather than always his family.

I think I will go with gut instinct and use my fourth bridesmaid (skipping 2 and 3). They'll be really hurt but 4 is just in the picture more!