+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been told by my go that I have suspected case of hashimoto I have been tested twice now and the levels have not changed but still unbalanced he has advised me that I am to blood test every 6 weeks until my body has stopped producing the hormone and I can go on meds could take months or years just doesn't sound right to me I'm tired have aches in my glands am struggling to lose weight and am sometimes in a fog. Why can't I go on meds I can't see myself functioning like this much longer especially that I have 2 kids to raise. I am off to the docs on Monday seeing another doctor for a different opinion hoping something comes out of it. I'm in brissy and not far from green slopes and wouldn't mind the contact details of the endo. I'm just feeling like I'm beating my head against a wall and stuck in limbo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    I have been told by my go that I have suspected case of hashimoto I have been tested twice now and the levels have not changed but still unbalanced he has advised me that I am to blood test every 6 weeks until my body has stopped producing the hormone and I can go on meds could take months or years just doesn't sound right to me I'm tired have aches in my glands am struggling to lose weight and am sometimes in a fog. Why can't I go on meds I can't see myself functioning like this much longer especially that I have 2 kids to raise. I am off to the docs on Monday seeing another doctor for a different opinion hoping something comes out of it. I'm in brissy and not far from green slopes and wouldn't mind the contact details of the endo. I'm just feeling like I'm beating my head against a wall and stuck in limbo.
    That doesn't sound right to me either. Do you know what the levels were? And what they tested? The marker for Hash's is an anti-nuclear antibody. They should be testing for that, if you have it you should be getting treatment. Regardless of what your TSH and other levels are.

I will PM you my endo's details but I'm pretty sure you need a GP to refer you.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miss87 View Post
    Where abouts are you based? My endocrinologist is at Greenslopes in Brisbane, I can send you her details if you like?

They changed the normal levels from 0.5-5 to 0.3-3 quite a few years ago so sounds like your GP needs an update!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Thanks but I'm in Melbourne

I've got an appointment with an endo but it isn't until next month. Yeah my GP didn't know too much about thyroid disease so I went to another GP for a second opinion and he agreed my levels were still high but wanted me to take natural supplements instead as I had an elevated heart rate.

I might speak to my GP again before my endo appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    You really need to see another GP, or even just ask him straight up for a referral to see an endocrinologist.

If you have been tested for Hashimotos you can't have a suspected case - you either have it or you don't. Once you have been diagnosed you can't ever get rid of it either.

Also keep in mind that Hashi's and hypothyroidism are two separate things but you would treat Hashi's the same as you would hypothyroidism.

Do you know what your levels were? If not ask your GP to print them out and post them to you so you can take them with you when you see another GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis about 5 years ago. It was too long ago to remember what my levels were! At the same time, I had been having large nodules (goiters) around my neck. they were MASSIVE! They filled over a couple of days- to the point that my neck movement would be restricted, so go in to my surgeon who would insert a massive needle into the centre and aspirate the fluid.

Ouch!
    Anyway, after a couple of months of this, my endo and surgeon ( who work in the same office) decided to remove my thyroid. As Hashimotos ends in the thyroid being depleted and completely inactive, they decided it was best to take it out- meaning no more goiters.

I went under the knife- a very small scar. It took a while for the right level of thyroxine to be calculated. I was sitting on 100 micrograms daily. I was also taking Selenium, a supplement with helped my body absorb the thyroxine.

THEN I fell pregnant with my son.....
    Hooly dooly- what a rough time! My OB and endo agreed that my MS was as bad as it was because of my thyroids inability to fluctuate hormone levels. My thyroxine dose increased to 225 by the end of my pregnancy.

It settle back to 175 a few months after my son was born. I am about 7 weeks pregnant now- already with bad MS! I see my OB this arvo- he will be testing TSH T3 and T4 every 6 weeks during this pregnancy to try to keep ahead of my body's need for a higher dose- hopefully keeping MS at bay!

Hope this all makes sense!

Lindy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just found a blood test result I was tested for TSH it was 4.5 mu/l the report says mildly elevated TSH I don't have the original blood results but I do remember their diagnosis was
    Possible hashimotos. The second lot of tests when I went back I told him about the hashimotois and he says to me how do you know you have that well stupid doctor you told me man I was so annoyed. So am looking forward to Monday with my original doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Went to the docs yesterday and she explained to me the main level she is concerned with is a reading I have of currently 14 healthy range between 10-20 so if it falls below 10 I will go on medication. I don't have to be tested every 6 weeks so I am feeling a lot better about that now that it has been explained to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lindyloolove

Like you I have Hashimotos. I am currently going through IVF and I had a miscarriage last year. I wonder if my Hashi had anything to do with it. Anyway, do you think that getting rid of your thyroid helped you get pregnant? Any advise on hash's and pregnancy/conception would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 12yo daughter has Hasimotos. She was diagnosed at 10 when she was lethargic, gaining weight, losing hair, had a goiter. Her TSH was 119. It took over a year to get them under control. I get all her results and keep them on a spreadsheet. It sucks. We deal with it but it's hard for a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have hashimotos too, wow there are so many if us here. I struggle to loose weight and an seriously considering weight loss surgery. I also get very tired sore if I do to much in one day.