+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I have an interview today for a job I am extremely excited about. Its a job where I could see myself committed long-term.

I'm not going to tell them I am pregnant, I do not want anything to ruin my chances of being offered a position with that company... and I know thats wrong but I want to work for them so badly, why would I give them any reason not to hire me?

I will let them know I am pregnant when and if i get offered the job. I think I'll have to tell them I'm planning on working up until the day I give birth and would like to return to work the sooner the better - I would also tell them I could work evening shifts (partner can stay with the baby when he gets back from work) and work from home if necesary.
    I guess if I get the job, tell them I am pregnant and then show them how much I want this job and how I am willing to do anything to keep it, they won't be disappointed?

I wish I was less career focused and more relaxed about not working though... life would be so much easier.. unfortunately I have never been that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell them when you get offered the job. That way they have singled you out as the best person for the job without any bias, and when you tell them explain how keen, hard working etc you are hopefully it won't matter. You're not likely to get any paid maternity leave, and you might want to check the unpaid maternity leave laws (not sure if your employer has to guarantee your position back if you've been with them a short time - I could be wrong on that). All the best, good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spuddy13 For This Useful Post:

rollercoaster2012  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks spuddy.

The interview went extremely well which has left me feeling very anxious about my situation.

does anyone know where I could read more about maternity leave entitlements? if I got this job I would like to have a good undersyanding of the legal side of things before telling my employer I am a mum-to-be

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to have worked 10 months in the last 12, not necessarily in the same job to be elligable for paid parental leave, and a year with your current employer to be eligible for maternity leave, at least they are the guidelines as I understand it. Best bet is to contact centre link, they will give you a full list of your entitlements. As much as I can understand the desire and want to work, financially unfortunately you may find not working till after the birth financial better, although I don't know obviously your situation. Personally think it is wrong that staying/ starting on benefits can be the best decision as opposed to working, but that is a rant for another occasion! Just have a snack and a drink available if ya are gonna call centre link, and preferably a land,line, they will rarely actually talk to,you in the building, so ya have to phone, and sit on hold for the rest of your life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster2012 View Post
    thanks spuddy.

The interview went extremely well which has left me feeling very anxious about my situation.

does anyone know where I could read more about maternity leave entitlements? if I got this job I would like to have a good undersyanding of the legal side of things before telling my employer I am a mum-to-be
    Look on the Fair Work website. You are not entitled to parental leave if you haven't worked for your employer for 12 months, so they would not need to keep your job open for you if they did not want to. But they would not be able to withdraw the offer based on the fact you are pregnant so you would have a job for a few months. And there is always the chance that they choose to keep the job open for you. But they might not do this if they feel you have been dishonest. It's a tough one and really depends on how the individual employer takes it....