+ Reply to Thread
    Kayangel is offline Bubba boy number two is coming!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default reduced family tax payment

Does this sound right to you?

My family tax has just been reduced to $302 because im not getting child support $588 per mth but now im losing $200 a fortnight off centrelink $400 a mth so wats the real point in child support, now im going to be really finding it hard to survive a week 300 bucks this doesnt seem right to me, it use to be 500 which alwoded me to buy shopping, fill up the car and put money towards paying the boys stuff swimming, kinder, clothes etc now ill be lucky to just cover the food bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can call centrelink and tell them you don't receive it. I can't remember what its called but they can pay you the normal amount of ftb, but you will have to notify them if you get any CS so you don't get overpaid. This is what I do because I don't receive the assessed amount either.

...........It 'might' be called disbursement method?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayangel View Post
    Does this sound right to you?

My family tax has just been reduced to $302 because im not getting child support $588 per mth but now im losing $200 a fortnight off centrelink $400 a mth so wats the real point in child support, now im going to be really finding it hard to survive a week 300 bucks this doesnt seem right to me, it use to be 500 which alwoded me to buy shopping, fill up the car and put money towards paying the boys stuff swimming, kinder, clothes etc now ill be lucky to just cover the food bill.
    If the Child Support assessment is just a new thing then yes Centrelink are correct; your FTB reduces when you get Child Support.

Did you apply for an exemption from collecting child support? This can also reduce your FTB to the base rate.

Might be worth asking Centrelink to explain why the reduction? I get about $600 a month child support for 1 child 86% care and my FTB is around the $300/ fortnight mark if that helps.
    Last edited by MummysYellowCar; 11-04-2012 at 18:11. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    With child support your FTB does get reduced, but there is an allowable income free area (child support monies that can be paid to you without it affecting your FTB) and after that your ftb is reduced by 50c in the dollar (so effecively you will lose 50% of your child support beyond the income free area as your ftb is reduced by that amount).

Doing the figures it doesn't sound like they are reducing your FTB accurately.

Child suport income free area

$1,368 - per year can be paid in child support before it affects your FTB +
    $456 - per additional child
    =$1,824 - per year for 2 children.

$588 per month
    = $7,056

Less Allowable Income Free Area of $1,824
    =$5232

/26 (26 fortnights in a year)
    = $201 per fortnight paid in child support.

Reduces FTB by 50c in the dollar so $201/2
    =$100.50

Your family tax benefit should only be reduced by $100.50 per fortnight.

I would query it with centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably a bit late to reply but my CS estimate is 628 a month and my families are reduced by around 88 dollars a fortnight. I would be seeing CS and centrelink and get them to recalculate everything again.

Sent from my ZTE T60 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can also call CSA and ask them to collect child support for you, which they can do by garnishing the ex's wages. It takes a few months but it ensures you will get what you are owed.