+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Very stressed and extremely confused about this mornings event.

At about 6am this morning I was in the lounge room, my daughter had just woken up and I had put her in front of the tv whilst I went around the house doing the usual morning duties.

I heard a commotion in the kitchen and went in to see what had happened.
    My daughter (14mo) had pulled a carton of eggs down from the counter and they had cracked, she had egg all over her.

At first I was worried about her consuming raw egg, so I stripped her down and put her in the shower with me.
    She was acting very funny in the shower so i took her out and took her to her room to get dressed.

It all happened right in front of my eyes.

She swelled up, had this rash all over her that had a hive like appearance (there way little blisters) an she was itching and acting very hyperactive and making funny noises with her breathing. The worst was on her hands they were so swollen she couldn't "grip" things..

I called the Emergency department at my local hospital and the lady on the phone was not help full, pretty much told me to calm down and not over react ( I was calm but she made me feel as though I was wasting her time and that it wasn't serious) she didnt allow me to speak much and just put me through to 13Health hotline...

Her rash had gone and she seemed 100% better but I stayed on the phone.

After 10 mins the rash ect came back aging but a little worse!
    By this time I had been on hold to 13health for 25mins...
    I ended up hanging up and taking her down to our local child medical centre which is at the end of our street.

They seen us straight away, they said she was having an allergic reaction but her breathing seemed to be OK.
    So they gave her an anti-hist shot and we sat in the nurses room for an hour to see if the rash would come back up . Which it didn't.

They told us if it comes back at all just to call an ambulance.

It hasn't come back yet, but she started getting extreme diarrhea, called back the medical centre and was told its normal after a reaction an just keep and eye on the breathing and rash.
    Breathing and rash have been fine.

She has a blood test booked in for this afternoon and a referral for an allergy test.

I just don't understand... My daughter has consumed eggs in the past and has never had a problem.. It's been in cooking or as scrambled eggs.. She had nothing else to eat this morning.. So it had to be the eggs.
    How is this even possible?
    Why was it just today that her body decided she couldn't tolerate eggs?

I don't think it was a sever reaction as she didn't need an epi shot, I go in to anaphylaxis when I consume peanuts so I know she didn't go into a anaphylaxis shock, but it was still a pretty noticeable reaction...

I'm just in shock and confused about why after months of consuming eggs this happened?

Is this normal for allergies?
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 11-04-2012 at 14:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Allergies can be developed. The can also worsen (or disappear) over time.

I was not allergic to the cold until i was 13, then i had a reaction to an ice pack and it has progressively gotten worse over time and is at a point that im scared that i might have anaphylaxis

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep they can get worse with subsequent exposure, also cooking things can change the chemical make up. It could be that the protein in the raw egg was just too much compared to when cooked.
    GL with the tests I know how scary allergies are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That must have been an awful experience

I am allergic to eggs and I had a similar reaction to your DD's when I was 13 years old. Someone threw an egg down a flight of stairs when I was at school and it hit me square in the eye. My eye swelled up and my face was extremely rashy and irritated. I got taken to the doctors and had a shot of phenergan, which unfortunately gave me a reaction too (I went a little crazy and thought the ceiling was falling down on me and couldn't stop kicking my legs).

It must be very confusing that she has eaten eggs without an issue before, yet it's pretty obvious the raw eggs have caused her major irritation?

I hope you get some answers when you have the allergy testing and that your DD feels better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As has been said allergies can develop and build up a reaction over time with exposure, thats why every exposure counts.

It is also common that some children will be react to raw egg but not well cooked egg as the cooking changes its make up. Hence you can try to build up a tolerance to the allergen (under supervision) in some cases.

For instance my own DS can tolerate small amount of well cooked egg... cant eat a pavlova though or play with a raw egg and we know when we have over done how much exposure he has had as his excema flairs up.

I hope both you and your DD are okay now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies.

We just came back from getting her blood test done.. That was horrible!! But the nurse was lovely and gave dd a teddy afterwards.

I have been doing some looking around on the net, and I was given an allergy book from the medical centre that I have been reading.
    I'm shocked that allergies can come on out of no where and that there is a difference between raw and cooked, or even different parts of the egg can cause a reaction like the yoke but some can consume the whites and have no issues.

She has sever eczema so allergies are something we always look out for when trying new foods... Thought we were safe with eggs but apparently not
    Hopefully the blood tests can show us something more.

I have put a baby gate up in the kitchen today, I didn't even know she could reach the bench! Very scary if she was to put her hand up whist the cook top was cooling down ect.

It's just been such a stressful day, looking forward to when it's over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hope you feel better soon it does stress you out for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD's are both allergic to egg. DD2 has been eating baked egg products for about 18 months now and we can challenge her on cooked egg as soon as she is better (she has a UTI atm) but we have been told that if she can tolerate cooked egg to not let her consume raw egg for at least 6 months afterwards.
    It is possible your DD just has a raw egg allergy, or it is possible that she is developing an egg allergy. I would keep some anithistamine for children at home and in your handbag (we use children's clarantyne) and follow the advice of your medical practitioner as to what your next step is with regards to her consuming egg.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh dear! That sounds absolutely horrible, you poor thing!

I'd say that obviously she had an allergy to the egg, but if her breathing is ok now and she's not distressed, don't panic too much.
    I had an extreme allergic reaction to something not too long ago. We still to this day don't know what caused it. But once the fainting and difficult breathing calmed down (after anti-hist shots etc) it really was just the mad itching from the welts that did my head in.

My top tip from a lifetime of watching my family members deal with allergies would be to avoid ANYthing with egg in it for the next few days. Even things that have egg in it that she's normally fine with. That's because even a small amount can set a flare up off again if it's not all out of her system.

I hope she's better again soon, allergic reactions can be very scary and uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing to keep in mind in the future - the flu vaccine is generally made using egg products, and they ask you before you get it whether you have an egg allergy. I'm not sure what other vaccinations might also be similar, but it's probably worth asking your doctor about.