At about 6am this morning I was in the lounge room, my daughter had just woken up and I had put her in front of the tv whilst I went around the house doing the usual morning duties.
I heard a commotion in the kitchen and went in to see what had happened.
My daughter (14mo) had pulled a carton of eggs down from the counter and they had cracked, she had egg all over her.
At first I was worried about her consuming raw egg, so I stripped her down and put her in the shower with me.
She was acting very funny in the shower so i took her out and took her to her room to get dressed.
It all happened right in front of my eyes.
She swelled up, had this rash all over her that had a hive like appearance (there way little blisters) an she was itching and acting very hyperactive and making funny noises with her breathing. The worst was on her hands they were so swollen she couldn't "grip" things..
I called the Emergency department at my local hospital and the lady on the phone was not help full, pretty much told me to calm down and not over react ( I was calm but she made me feel as though I was wasting her time and that it wasn't serious) she didnt allow me to speak much and just put me through to 13Health hotline...
Her rash had gone and she seemed 100% better but I stayed on the phone.
After 10 mins the rash ect came back aging but a little worse!
By this time I had been on hold to 13health for 25mins...
I ended up hanging up and taking her down to our local child medical centre which is at the end of our street.
They seen us straight away, they said she was having an allergic reaction but her breathing seemed to be OK.
So they gave her an anti-hist shot and we sat in the nurses room for an hour to see if the rash would come back up . Which it didn't.
They told us if it comes back at all just to call an ambulance.
It hasn't come back yet, but she started getting extreme diarrhea, called back the medical centre and was told its normal after a reaction an just keep and eye on the breathing and rash.
Breathing and rash have been fine.
She has a blood test booked in for this afternoon and a referral for an allergy test.
I just don't understand... My daughter has consumed eggs in the past and has never had a problem.. It's been in cooking or as scrambled eggs.. She had nothing else to eat this morning.. So it had to be the eggs.
How is this even possible?
Why was it just today that her body decided she couldn't tolerate eggs?
I don't think it was a sever reaction as she didn't need an epi shot, I go in to anaphylaxis when I consume peanuts so I know she didn't go into a anaphylaxis shock, but it was still a pretty noticeable reaction...
I'm just in shock and confused about why after months of consuming eggs this happened?
Is this normal for allergies?