+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Failsafe just seems way too hard!!

My DS is difficult, to put it nicely. Tantrums, aggression, defiant, rude, oppositonal, everything that screams "try Failsafe!!"

But Im overwhelmed. He already has no flavors or preservatives or artificial colours (occasionally he will have them but not in anything I buy). He refuses to eat any veg and only fruit he eats are citrus, berries occasionally but I notice no change in behaviour afterwards, and apple.

If he is already additive free is it worth looking at diet more?!

What the heck will he eat? What does a day odd food look like for your Failsafe kid?

TiA

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, My DS reacts to additives and flavours too.
    Mostly MSG foods and Juice send him off.

My DS eats...
    Breakfast - Porridge with honey or weetbix

Morning tea- crackers such as cruskits or plain sakatas plus some fruit banana's /apples/orange and canteloupe. I limit grapes and dried fruits due to the preservatives.

Lunch - Sandwiches usually salad and cheese, or peanut butter or egg and lettuce.
    Smoothie with milk, yogurt and banana and flakseeds

Afternoon tea- Vegie sticks, capsicum, tomato, celery, cucumber, carrots etc with hummus to dip in plus some plain breadsticks or crackers.

Dinners - I try and make things from scratch to aviod additives but his fav dinners are, spaghetti, macaroni with vegies, chickpea & lentil patties, canneloni, vegetarian sausage rolls, fried rice with egg and vegies.

Other snacks that I find ok for him are milk arrowroot biscuits or marie biscuits, sesame snaps, homemade muffins or cake, Jalna yogurt

The fed up site has a failsafe shopping list, I find that handy.
    Bread we buy from bakers delight as it has no additives (282)

What is your DS eating during the day ?
    Some kids are sensitive to Salicylates (sp) which are higher in certain fruit and veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    Hi, My DS reacts to additives and flavours too.
    Mostly MSG foods and Juice send him off.

My DS eats...
    Breakfast - Porridge with honey or weetbix

Morning tea- crackers such as cruskits or plain sakatas plus some fruit banana's /apples/orange and canteloupe. I limit grapes and dried fruits due to the preservatives.

Lunch - Sandwiches usually salad and cheese, or peanut butter or egg and lettuce.
    Smoothie with milk, yogurt and banana and flakseeds

Afternoon tea- Vegie sticks, capsicum, tomato, celery, cucumber, carrots etc with hummus to dip in plus some plain breadsticks or crackers.

Dinners - I try and make things from scratch to aviod additives but his fav dinners are, spaghetti, macaroni with vegies, chickpea & lentil patties, canneloni, vegetarian sausage rolls, fried rice with egg and vegies.

Other snacks that I find ok for him are milk arrowroot biscuits or marie biscuits, sesame snaps, homemade muffins or cake, Jalna yogurt

The fed up site has a failsafe shopping list, I find that handy.
    Bread we buy from bakers delight as it has no additives (282)

What is your DS eating during the day ?
    Some kids are sensitive to Salicylates (sp) which are higher in certain fruit and veg.
    can i just hijack for a quick sec...? I was thinking of going failsafe but just read that i had to eliminate milk, yougurt and tomatoes also (which DS loves). Do you only part follow the diet or did i read incorrectly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your DS is refusing vegies perhaps you could try hiding vegies in dishes such as...

-Cook and blend a bunch of vegies and add to a pasta sauce for spaghetti and pizza bases.
    -Make hidden vegie Quiches, cook and blend pumpkin, carrot, sweet potoato and mix with egg and milk. Fill muffin tin with puff pastry and fill with mixture and cook.
    -Zucchini slice
    -Add fruit to smoothies
    - Add apple puree to pikelt mixture
    - Add chopped fruit to muffins.
    - Add nuts and seeds to choc-chip muesli bars

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment he eats on an average day

Breakfast - porridge or weetbix with a drop of honey

Morning tea - CalciYum yoghurt and a muffin or peanut butter cracker or apple slices or boiled egg (only yoghurt he'll eat, we tried Jalna and he refuses)

Lunch - multigrain sandwich with ham and cheese/tuna cheese/peanut butter

Afternoon tea - toddler muesli bar, mandarin (heinz little kidz), olives, cheese

Dinner - meat with carbs, (pasta or stirfry or curry etc) but will not eat ANY veg unless well hidden eg, spag bol with grated carrot, or fish patties with potato.

He is a milk addict but I read somewhere that plain milk is safe? I'm thinking of switching him to a2 milk incase thats his issue. he also has mild eczema which may also be from milk? He would drink milk all day if I let him and has tantrums when I say no more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    can i just hijack for a quick sec...? I was thinking of going failsafe but just read that i had to eliminate milk, yougurt and tomatoes also (which DS loves). Do you only part follow the diet or did i read incorrectly?
    When I started failsafe I eliminated all additives and preservatives and cut down on high 'Sal' fruit and veg.
    Within a week my DS behaviour was heaps better, So i kept it up and over time he has occasionally had certain things with additives and I can see the change in behaviour straight away.
    Juice was a big one for him, even organic orange juice set him off I think it was just too high a concentration of oranges for him. So we steer clear of juice and soda.

Also those 'so called' Health foods for kids such as rice wheel chips etc are full of MSG and so is vegemite.

I just followed the steps on the fed up site, I didn't eliminate milk though and figured out what worked for us.
    I printed out the little card that has all the nasty additives and took it shopping with me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderstorm For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    At the moment he eats on an average day

Breakfast - porridge or weetbix with a drop of honey

Morning tea - CalciYum yoghurt and a muffin or peanut butter cracker or apple slices or boiled egg (only yoghurt he'll eat, we tried Jalna and he refuses)

Lunch - multigrain sandwich with ham and cheese/tuna cheese/peanut butter

Afternoon tea - toddler muesli bar, mandarin (heinz little kidz), olives, cheese

Dinner - meat with carbs, (pasta or stirfry or curry etc) but will not eat ANY veg unless well hidden eg, spag bol with grated carrot, or fish patties with potato.

He is a milk addict but I read somewhere that plain milk is safe? I'm thinking of switching him to a2 milk incase thats his issue. he also has mild eczema which may also be from milk? He would drink milk all day if I let him and has tantrums when I say no more.
    You could try the A2 milk but it is quite expensive $6 for 2 litres !!!
    Have you tried your Son on some multivitamins ?
    I put my DS on iron and B vitamins because we are vegetarian and his mood seems generally better.
    I think B vitamins have a lot to do with mood.
    Could be worth a shot, maybe see your GP or health nurse first.

Another thing to look at is his sleeping habits, Does he sleep well ? Does he get enough sleep and Is his mattress comfortable enough ?

Hopefully your DS is just going through the terrible 2's and will change soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips Thunderstorm.

He sleeps 11 hours a night (but wakes for a drink sometimes) and 1hr during day. I'll look into the vitamins, I have PentaVit in the fridge that I keep forgettting to give him!

He has been 'terrible 2's' since he was 14 months, and still going strong at 2.5yrs

i just had a look through Sue Dengates booklet, its very helpful and informative but it all just seems like so much bl00dy work! Argh.

Anyway, going shopping shortly so will see what I can come up with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's the link to the failsafe shopping list, click on the different catergories (in green) to see the lists.

http://fedup.com.au/information/shopping-list/blog

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel your pain! We've been failsafe for over three years now and it was incredibly hard to begin with. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help. As for a day of food, it goes like this:

Breakfast - Oats/Rice Bubbles/Weet-Bix/Puffed wheat.

Morning tea - Plain rice crackers, saladas with cream cheese, fruit (pear, golden/red delicious apples), raw green beans, home made biscuits, dried pears (I get failsafe ones online)

Lunch - Cold meat (I usually roast a chook or lamb twice a week and use that for cold meat instead of deli meats), mountain bread wraps with chicken, lettuce, grated carrot and cream cheese, rice paper rolls, toasted chicken and cream cheese sandwich.

Arvo tea - same as morning tea.

Dinner - My kids faves are noodle soup (I make my own chicken stock with chicken carcasses, leeks, spring onions, garlic, carrot) and then freeze in portions - defrost add angel hair pasta and you have noodle soup. If you use less stock and a thicker noodle, you get failsafe two minute noodles. Chick Chick burgers - chicken mince/chickpeas, carrots, spring onion, celery, breadcrumbs, all whizzed up, meat balls - same as chick chicks but beef mince and kidney beans, home made nuggets. Gah, bub crying, I'll bbl.