+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default rejection of solids, low iron???

Hi there,

I have a 7.5mnth old dear daughter! She was 8lb 6oz at birth and at her last weigh-in about 10days ago she was in the 97th%ile.. Her weight has been steadily increasing with her height and age. So weight wise, there are definitely no problems. She is fully breastfed.

I started her on solids when she was about 4 months with rice cereal at first, because she seemed like she needed something more, and I was quietly hoping it would improve her constant feeding at night (which I've realised now, is more about comfort and separation anxiety than food). After a weigh in, I decided against continuing the solids, since her weight was great and she just wasn't keen. AT ALL. It was a stressful experience for both of us. So I left it.

At 5.5 months she was trying to grab things off my plate etc. So I thought I would try the solids again, and by solids I mean purees, I have tried both homemade with ebm and bought ones. She is now 7.5 months old and I CANNOT get her to take them. I have persisted and have been offering them every day. As soon as the spoon gets near her mouth she blows a huge raspberry and it just goes everywhere. If I manage to get one in her mouth, she spits it all back out anyway. I've tried all different flavours and textures. My mum said I was exactly the same and went straight to finger food.

10 days ago I saw the MCHN and she basically implied that I'm nutritionally depriving my child, that my milk isn't enough for her. I was so incredibly upset. I felt like some terrible mother who is not feeding her child enough. Which is absurd since my daughter has the chubbiest thighs in the world! Lol. And that it's my fault that she's not sleeping through because I'm not feeding her enough (which I retorted that she is NOT feeding at night, she's suckling and using me as a dummy, there is no swallowing happening at all!). She is so happy through the day, like ridiculously happy. She only fusses when she's ready for a nap or her teeth are bothering her. So I'm following my better instinct by letting her take the lead.

So the last few days I have tried Baby Led Weaning...and my god! She is much happier to munch on things herself than have it shoved down her throat. She chooses what she eats and it is just ten times easier! So I have a couple of questions!

AM I depriving her nutritionally by not pushing the solids? Is my milk enough for her if we have this continuing battle over food (which I think is over since I've been BLW)? I've read the sticky on BLW and she does not fall into any of the categories regarding low iron stores.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Breastmilk is the best natural source of iron for a baby check out the kellymom website it explains it very well. I'm sorry your chn is a knob but I'm not surprised.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (11-04-2012),smallpotatoes  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah I looked at kellymom before. I don't understand why these chn are allowed to make loving, adoring intelligent mothers feel like crap about themselves. My usual chn is awesome, won't be going back to that dodgy one again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am very familiar with the ol' raspberry on spoon full of food! My story is nearly exactly the same as yours; tried and failed spoon feeding, gave up and did BLW. So much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As Thermalicious said, milk is their main source of food at this age. Food is fun before they're one! Plus she's only 7.5 months old.

If you're doing BLW you are giving her some form of solids so you're not depriving her at all. Have you seen this site for more info? http://www.babyledweaning.com/

I started off doing purees with DD and she only has a couple of tiny spoonfuls and then refuses despite showing other signs of wanting it. So I decided to give BLW a try and she loves it! So much happier feeding herself.

IMO it's better to do BLW so they can eat if they want to rather than try and force them to eat which may lead to other issues.

Sounds like you are doing an awesome job btw!