+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Parent's of toddlers - Are you tired?

I have a very active little toddler who hrdly ever just sits still and plays for long so we're always out and about, especially in the mornings, either at the park, at a play centre, going for walks around the hills of our suburb.

But, by 10-11am I am soooo tired, my eyes are literally so sore. He goes for his nap and I just plonk down (I can't sleep during the day for the life of me!) with a cuppa.

I do start the day with a coffee but we always eat a good breakfast at around 7am - wheat bix or toast/eggs - so why do I get this sudden tiredness mid-morning? Is it normal? I am only pretty small (55kg) so it's physically very demanding with DS, and I am an older Mum (36) and I used to have so much energy in my 20's!

Can anyone suggest some energy-rich foods I should have in the mornings so this doesn't happen? I just feel exhausted even though we're an active little family. I'm due to go back to work in May 4 days a week so I don't want to be yawning at my desk.

Help...?!

Shhh, blowing Flo rider's whistle and making Usher scream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 5 children including 2yr old twins and tbh I'm not tired but that's because I make sure I get enough sleep. They sleep from 6 - 6. But stay happy in their cots until 7am. Most nights I'm asleep by 10 or earlier then I will nap when they sleep during the day. If ur eating complex carbs at breaky which u r then try a simple carb just b4 that time u usually tire - like lollies, juice, cordial etc. u can afford to being only 55kg. I have to say that I have more energy in my 40's than I did in my 20's with toddlers. Not sure why that is though- just a bonus I guess. So my suggestion is more sleep.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sleep every night from 10pm til 6-6.30am.... It's not lack of sleep otherwise I wouldn't be wondering why I'm tired....

Thanks I'll try the juice before breaky thing - I've heard coffee first thing in the morning is not good as it causes you to 'crash' later (which I often do), but I simply must have my coffee first thing, can't live without it! I guess I need to try though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't have things like lollies, cordial etc. They will give you a sugar rush but then you'll crash and burn hard!

Weet-Bix makes me tired. I'll either have scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast (don't eat white bread) or a homemade muesli for breakfast. I exercise early in the morning so need protein in my breakfast to pick me up (I put almonds in my muesli).

Avoid refined carbs, refined sugars and fill your body up with lots of fruit and vegies...the more raw the better. Have salad instead of cooked veggies etc.

You can get extra fruit and veggies in to you with a green smoothie. They are delicious and such a great energy boost!

I am always at my most energetic when I'm eating a good clean diet.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Possible low iron? I was always tired and got my iron levels checked, had low iron, every now and then I have iron shots to boost me and i'm good for a while. Whenever i'm feeling sluggish I get tested and 9 times out of 10 its my iron again.

Another thing may be having protein with your breakfast... But you said you eat eggs so thats protein... duh... my brain is not working well today

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jbish For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! Actually I just had a guy living here downstairs for a couple of months and he cooks big fat steaks like, every night! which the smell makes me feel ill and hense I can't stomach eating steak and rarely eat it now - maybe I am low in iron! We always eat lots of veggies with evening meal though, but it's not the same form of iron as meat if memory serves...?Luckily the meat-eating guy is moving out in a few days - no more constant, burnt meat smell in the house. Can't wait! Why do men need to cook the heck out of meat like that and smoke the house out??!Hmm might try to p my iron intake and do other things as suggested - interesting about the weat bix as I thought this was good for breaky and we eat it every morning practically.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 11-04-2012 at 12:22.

Shhh, blowing Flo rider's whistle and making Usher scream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    U won't crash from eating simple sugars if u have had complex carbs as well which u are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe try a low gi diet, balancing your carbs with protein too. I felt like you (I am pregnant though) and found out. Have gestational diabetes, since managing it with my diet I feel so much better, a lot more energy.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bananas are natures energy food & you won't crash from them.

A good nights sleep

Atleast 2 ltrs of water a day.

No more then 2 cups of coffee & none late at night. Do you drink tea? Tea has 1/4 the caffeine but wakes me up as well & much less of a caffeine crash.

We have oats for breakfast every morning too. Good healthy energy source.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the diet changes don't work maybe go to your doc and get iron tests as well as thyroid test. I have both thyroid condition and constant low iron and when my levels are wrong I feel exactly like you! Good luck! Btw I have a toddler too and although my iron etc are ok now I'm still exhausted by mid morning too! Maybe it's just their boundless energy we can't keep up with!