+ Reply to Thread
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you make fortnightly meal plans??

Got any ideas or tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do weekly meal plans. DP and I sit down with our cook books and pick out 7 dishes for the week and try to change it up a bit from week to week so we're not eating the same things. We make our shopping list at the same time and I write down the meals we plan to make and we go from there from night to night as to which dish we will make/feel like

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't plan meals just pick the meat I want to have in a week and go from there

YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am thinking we need to eat DIFFERENT food. I'm sick of eating the same things all the time.... Y'know... Meat 3 vege etc.

I have heaps and heaps of recipes that I want to look through and I am happy to stick the meals on the fridge and choose each day, but my dh gets paid each fortnight now so I have to know what we are eating so I can shop for the fortnight from now on...

Hoping to freeze some things? Also need recesses for school, preschool and work.

It's very overwhelming, lol...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never meal plan - just make what I feel like that day. I eat a heap of different meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I meal plan for a fortnight - sit down work out about 12 meals (we always end up going out at least once a week) and buy meat and ingredients for those meals, freeze meat if not going to use in first few days after shop.

Each night we consult the list of meals and decide what we feel like for the next day and get out that meat ready - so its not set in stone Monday we eat abc, tues xyz so on, its just a list of meals and we pick and choose

I find I'm up the street getting fresh fruit and veg, bread and milk every few days but have the core ingredients, snacks etc already there

I find this works really well for us, no last minute 'crap what's for tea' I have a word document with about 50 diff meals that we pick from each fortnight so it's never the same each fortnight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Two weeks is a long time to go without buying fresh food if that makes sense. A few years ago I was struggling and was paid fortnightly and I would budget X amount per week and keep the other week's worth of food budget separated from money for other things so I could still shop weekly. This might be worth giving a go.

Muffins are always good, you can make some with fruit/veg and most of them are freezer friendly. Fresh fruit is always good for snacks along with nuts (ONLY for the adults though of course - allergies at school).

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do a meal plan every time hubby is away and for the first night he is back, so 16 meals. I usually repeat one meal in there. As a previous poster said I buy all basic ingredients and shop for more fruit and veg twice a week. We normally cook whatever we feel like when he is home.