+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Date back Paid Parental Leave?

Hi There,
    My baby was born on last week of December 2011. My wife was working full time permanent employee 14 months prior to that. she took unpaid leave from 1st week of dec 2011. I am fully eligible for 18 weeks paid parental leave. Today we lodged online application and submitted form what was given from hospital for Paid Parental leave. My wife is planing to return back to work in 2 weeks. I was just wondering what will happen now with my paid parental leave. I heard they wont date back the Paid parental leave or Baby bonus. I am bit worried. I guess because of my laziness I wont be able to get full payment of paid parental leave. Is there any other way I could try that. would the Family Tax Benefit be sufficient enough to compansate what I would have missed out on Paid parental leave.
    Help needed,
    Thanks in Advance,
    Ronak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't quite understand your post - why do you think you will miss out? Pretty sure you are not too late and will get the full payment if you are eligible. You may be eligible for FBT as well. Best to call Centrelink or go online.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You won't get the baby bonus if you get parental leave.

Also, they probably won't backdate it, but you should still get 18 weeks paid leave.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BigredV,Yeah bt my wife is planning to start work in 2-3 weeks, and I just applied today.
    I delayed it due to some other commitments because I anticipated that I would get the PPL from the time baby was born, and I borrowed some money from friend expacting I would still get the money from the time baby was born and I will be able to return the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The 18 weeks paid parental leave can be taken anytime after bubs is born, providing it's within 12 months. So if your baby was born Dec 2011 and you have just applied recently, you will still receive the full 18 weeks - but it won't be backpaid (as far as I understand). It will just start from acceptance of forms being submitted - that's how it was explained to me anyway.

This is providing your wife didn't use any of it herself already?? If so then you can only receive the weeks remaining, eg your wife had 10 weeks so you get 8 weeks etc

You are best to call Centrelink

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply Pesca77,
    I understand that, but she is planning to start the work in 2-3 weeks (I know its too early).
    so what my question is, in that case would we still be eligible to get full pay even if she is working, or they will cease paying because she has started working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As long as the application is for you, not her, you should receive it in full. Her going back to work has no impact on your payment

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine81 For This Useful Post:

ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine81 View Post
    As long as the application is for you, not her, you should receive it in full. Her going back to work has no impact on your payment

Hi Sunshine81 - First thing I did application on her behalf (becasue she is overseas). and she is a primary application. another thing is does this apply even if I am working?
    Thanks for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahhh.

No, only applies if one of you is not working (doesn't matter who, but if it was you, you would need to cancel the original and re-submit in your name). There may be some issues with this depending on where they are at with processing - you would need to contact centrelink.

If she is returning to work, and you are still working, you will still be eligible for baby bonus.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunshine81 For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (11-04-2012),ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm confused. Did she have give birth in Australia? If the application is done in her name and she returns to work, payments will cease/she won't get PPL. If the application for PPL was done in your name and you are working, you won't get PPL.

Paid parental leave is for the parent who is NOT working. I had my paid parental leave backpayed from birth as it took 7 weeks for Family Assistance to process it, unsure if it's the same for a lack of lodging forms though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

ronbro2020  (11-04-2012)