+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default **spinoff** is it rude to say; Its not your business?

I am interested to know.

I say its not your business to people and dont usually say it as an insult.

More as, its not your business so dont worry, move on, let it go.

I said it to DH this morning as he was trying to watch the neighbour have a fight with her gardener.

Its not his business.

I am surprised to see that it would be just cause to be insulted, when I simply see it as a turn of phrase with no personal insult attached?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends what context it's used in. If I was chatting with a mate, gossiping and she said 'yeah but you can't do that, because honestly, it's none of your business mate'....i'd understand and be okay with her saying it.

If I was voicing my concerns over a very good friend and needed advice from someone and they said 'it's none of your business'...i'd be a little offended yes.

BUT, in regards to your post in that thread, I think that whole situation is a little different and I dont think you were being rude.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-04-2012),Ishtyban  (11-04-2012),NancyBlackett  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is a little bit rude, but I say it myself, typically to my children. One child will ask something about another child and I will say "It doesn't concern you". My use of different phrasing is specifically because I grew up feeling that "None of your business" was a rude and offensive thing to say. However, I don't believe my choosing different words gives me a pass, and agree that it is rude.

When the one being spoken to is a child, the rudeness is mitigated somewhat because you are educating the child to stop butting into other peoples affairs. However when the recipient of the comment is an adult, you are telling that adult how they should behave and thus treating them like a child.

Similarly, when my children speak, I will correct their grammar. My eldest was quite shocked when a friend at school said something and she corrected their grammar and was chastised for being rude. I really do consider both circumstances the same type of thing.

---------

Likewise, if you were preparing to go visit someone important to you, and your DH appeared wearing green shorts and a blue tshirt, and you objected "You can't wear that! Blue and green should not be seen without another colour in between." it would be very rude. However, if instead you suggested, "Oh dear, my <friend/mother/boss/whatever> would likely be unimpressed with that colour combination. Could you please change so that I dont feel embarrassed." that would not be rude.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 11-04-2012 at 11:08.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would think it rude if someone said it in a nasty way.. Like if I asked a question and someone said its none of your business.. People ask questions due to curiosity and if they ask I generally answer even if it isn't there business!
    But in the situation you said not rude you were basically saying stop being noisy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blairysmum For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Depends. If someone is being harmed, I think it should be everybody's business. If not, let it go.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (11-04-2012),Ishtyban  (11-04-2012),Jakois  (11-04-2012),squirrelex  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I only use it in a nasty way. I get offended when people say its none of your business. There are other ways to say it. Eg. "it's none of your concern honey, don't worry about it." = )

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012),Maybelline  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats really interesting.
    I am going to stop using it.

I didnt realise that it could be harmful or offensive.

Thanks girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say "that doesn't really concern you" to my high school students quite a lot. Especially when they ask random stuff in the middle of class, or if I am talking to a particular student and they butt in. It is none of their business and they need to learn to not be rude.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cellent For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeh I do think "None of your business" is nasty.

But I know what your referring to from the other thread, and agree with you. I was thinking it myself, but I wouldn't actually say it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use "it's not your concern" or "this doesn't concern you" or "I'm actually talking to ...."

In your situation I would have said something like "What are you up to stickybeak?"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (11-04-2012)