+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default American weddings and blood tests?

In American TV shows, it appears that it is necessary to have blood tests before getting married. I've always wondered what these blood tests are for:
    * at first I thought STIs
    * then I thought genetic abnormalities
    * now I'm thinking genetic diversity (ie to prove the couple aren't biologically syblings)

The other question is, are the blood tests simply an informative exercise (ie to ensure both parties know exactly what they are getting in to) or exclusionary (ie the wrong results could lead to refusal of a marriage licence).

And finally, I am guessing this doesn't apply in all states, because things like a spur of the moment, drive-through wedding (which I've also seen on American TV shows) wouldn't be possible if blood tests were required beforehand.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    NEVER heard of it! Sounds very interesting! I'd love to know why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think also it is to stop abnormalities as some blood groups can not combine and as such would not develop heathy children or may not produce children at all.

I knew a girl who had to take medication so her body would not reject the baby as the blood group the baby had was the dads and was not suited to hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always thought it was to make sure they aren't related in any way... No idea why I think that lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How romantic... Lol

I have heard of this but is it the law in some states?

Anyway it's not a bad idea. STIs, having kids with your brother, HIV all things I would like to know before hand.

As for exclusion as in refusal to get a marriage license well if he is your brother then I do think they should not be able to marry.

I love America I was reading the other day about the 15 crazy se.x laws they have one of which is a man can not shoot a gun while his partner orgasims.... Nawwww taking all the fun out of it. Wtf.. Lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (11-04-2012),MissMuppet  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post

I love America I was reading the other day about the 15 crazy se.x laws they have one of which is a man can not shoot a gun while his partner orgasims.... Nawwww taking all the fun out of it. Wtf.. Lol
    lmao my dh does that all the time

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I googled it .. and found a few different sites, mostly stating the same thing ..

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040825.html

its an OLD law .. back when things like syphliss where around .. and it could endanger partners/ children ..

only 8 states in america still do it apparently??? but yes .. in some states its still mandatory

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe checking to make sure your not related
    I got married in NY state and didn't have to have a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Man I'm so glad we don't live in America, that law would break poor DHs heart