+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    3 will be our limit. As for others, I don't think there's a number. But I would say when you can no longer financially provide the basics and aren't giving them quality time. I know some here are fans of the duggars, but the time factor is why I disagree with how many she has had. When your kids are raising their sibs and doing your job... well I don't agree with that.
    Last edited by delirium; 11-04-2012 at 10:53.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Agreed, delirium. I don't disagree with the amount of children the duggars have had per se, but the way in which they parent. I've read some pretty disturbing things on their website and I'd be against any parent allowing siblings to do a main role in child raising when mum and dad are able and capable whether they have 2 children or 20.

Gentoo, we've discussed this a few times. I think the number of children isn't the problem but the wasteful way in which we live. My grandparents used no more resources (probably less actually) raising their 3 children than I do my one child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Three is my personal limit. I agree with Delirium on families like the Duggars etc. If you can raise them yourself then have as many as you want...if you're going to keep having babies and assigning an older sibling to be the main carer then stop. Also be able to clothe them, feed them and provide them with a warm bed to sleep in.

As far as the environment goes...I know families who have 1 or 2 children who's lifestyle impacts the environment far more than those I know raising a large family so it doesn't really come in to it to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For us, 3 will probably be our limit....DP already talking about getting the snip

However, i don't think it's really up to anyone to say how many children another couple can or should have. I have a friend who's partner is in the defence force and away a lot, and they have 5 children and she is an amazing mother (as he is a great father)...but i don't think i'd be able to cope with that. Each to their own, if the children are happy, healthy and well cared for then i don't see the big deal.

When i think about the environmental impact of having a lot of children, well, for us we're more environmentally aware now with 2.5 children than we were before having any. I believe in raising our children with a healthy respect for our earth and the environment. Would be the same if we had 1 or 21 children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    3 will be our limit. As for others, I don't think there's a number. But I would say when you can no longer financially provide the basics and aren't giving them quality time. I know some here are fans of the duggars, but the time factor is why I disagree with how many she has had. When your kids are raising their sibs and doing your job... well I don't agree with that.
    Well said and totally agree.

For me personally, 10 years ago I would have said 4-5, but sadly that has to come down to 2-3 now. Baby making is difficult and extremely expensive for us ufortunately...but also more than 3 means a much bigger car/house etc and makes all family holidays and outings too expensive for our family budget. So for the sake of our children getting the very best we can provide, we'll limit ourselves to 2-3 (providing we even get that opportunity).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think if everybody was having a lot of children, we would have an issue (sustainable population, environment etc) and would have to look at disincentives (eg. no baby bonus), but given the average is so low, the odd person having oodles of them doesn't matter.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-04-2012),mrsdj1234  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally two, maybe three.

For others, I guess perhaps how ever many you want provided that you have the capacity to give them each enough attention without letting any slip through the cracks.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On a purely thoeretical level, I'd have to say 2, 'cos with world overpopulation problems it seems sensible to replace yourself and your partner only, BUT I have 3 kids, so who am I to say?

I justify myself by the fact that both my brother and sister have only one child each...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think as long as they are cared for and provided for and the mother isn't putting herself at any risk then there really isn't a number that is too many.

For us though this will be our last baby, so 3 for us.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think it depends on the family.
    i have a friend who is one of 15 children, and they are almost completely self sufficent (they still drive a car, and therefore need fuel, plus they dont mill their own grains, so buy flour/oats and they buy material for clothing)
    then i used to live with a wasteful single woman who used the resources of 10people (and didnt care at all)

personally id love a million kids too, but physically i think we will be struggling with 3 (and may even stop at 2)