+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaning for honeymoon?

I'm getting married in a few months and we are having our honeymoon for 5 nights overseas. I'm breastfeeding my 7 month old and don't plan on stopping anytime soon..What should I do? Take my pump with me on my honeymoon? Is he likely to not want me anymore (god forbid) after a week on the bottle? Should we postpone the trip? Help!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know, for me it's one of the main reasons we haven't gotten married yet I want a honeymoon without kids but I wont wean for it so were stuck living in sin until DD weans I'm ok most of the time with waiting, for us it's more important to give the kiddies the booby juice, I won't risk them weaning if I leave them *sigh* just another sacrifice for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to take medication that was not suitable for breastfeeding when my DD6 was nine months old. She was stopped cold turkey for two weeks (one to take the meds and a second to allow them to clear from my system). She was distressed about suddenly not being able to feed, though most of that stress was when around me. She was pretty good for others. I didn't have the opportunity to pump EBM for her beforehand. She was eating well so simply ate and drank from sippy cups.

After the two weeks, she was most pleased when allowed back on the breast. She fed voraciously several times for one day. However the next day she was uninterested and didn't feed again.

----------------

I hope the break doesn't turn your DS off like it did my DD6. However using EBM would probably help him keep a taste for it. And unlike with my DD6, you wont be around to confuse him.

I think it is possible that he might reject breastfeeding afterwards, but not necessarily likely. I hope you have a great honeymoon and your son is eager to see you and feed again once you return.

Your son will be ten months old, and past the point where most people think it is fine for breastfeeding to stop. If you are one that will be sorely disappointed if you dont make the two year recommended guideline, then perhaps you should postpone your trip. But otherwise I think you should enjoy your honeymoon and hope for the best.