+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default calcium for toddler?

I was chatting to my lovely mother on the phone, and she mentioned that she used to give my sister and I when we were kids calcium suppplement.

Don't get me wrong she hasn't told me to give to my 1 year old son straight away, but i am curious is anyone out there give calcium supplement to their babies?

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have just stopped breastfeeding my 17 m/o and she doesnt drink milk (never has drank EBM or formula or cows milk from a bottle/straw cup/sippy cup). She will have milk on her cereal but wont drink anything other than water. I try and give her cheese and yoghurt but even that is hit and miss as to whether she will have it. I dont even know if you can get calcium tablets for kids but I possibly should investigate further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Kids under 3 need approx 500mg of calcium per day which is easy to get if your child has a normal diet , supplements would only be required if you think they are not eating enough , but first see a nutritionist/naturopath

Some of the best sources I try get my DS to have daily are;

- smoothie with whatever I have on hand ( A2 milk, goats, almond milk - which is approx 300mg)
    - 1/2 tub of yogurt ( 100mg)
    - veggies and fruit for the day (75mg)
    - nut butters or cereal or cheese (50mg)
    I also add chia seeds (50mg per tablespoon) to pretty much everything for an extra kick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I have just stopped breastfeeding my 17 m/o and she doesnt drink milk (never has drank EBM or formula or cows milk from a bottle/straw cup/sippy cup). She will have milk on her cereal but wont drink anything other than water. I try and give her cheese and yoghurt but even that is hit and miss as to whether she will have it. I dont even know if you can get calcium tablets for kids but I possibly should investigate further.
    Yep! I'll see our gp next week and keep this post updated !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Kids under 3 need approx 500mg of calcium per day which is easy to get if your child has a normal diet , supplements would only be required if you think they are not eating enough , but first see a nutritionist/naturopath

Some of the best sources I try get my DS to have daily are;

- smoothie with whatever I have on hand ( A2 milk, goats, almond milk - which is approx 300mg)
    - 1/2 tub of yogurt ( 100mg)
    - veggies and fruit for the day (75mg)
    - nut butters or cereal or cheese (50mg)
    I also add chia seeds (50mg per tablespoon) to pretty much everything for an extra kick!
    I also add chia to foods, forgot about that. I probably need to have a good look at what she's getting on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AliceandJulian View Post
    Yep! I'll see our gp next week and keep this post updated !
    I've just subscribed to this thread so I'll see when you update. I'll be interested to see what the GP has to say. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi!

So finally i asked my Gp about calcium supplement and asked several chemist, mainly my GP told me that nutrition is very important and including calcium is a necessity for a toddler and Vitamin D can be given as a supplement for bone strength (They used to advice giving calcium as supplement in the 80's). That's what i have been advice for my bub so go check with your GP if you have more concern!
    have a good evening!