+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how to get 3 week old to sleep NOT being held!!

my 3 week old DD won't sleep unless she is being held which is terrible as I get no sleep I'm up all day and night holding her so she can sleep I have a 2 year old as well so it is really hard.
    I have tried nursing her till she is asleep then putting her to bed I've tried putting her in a swing, rocking the bassinet with her in it I have even tried co sleeping with her NONE of them work only way to get her to sleep and stay asleep is if either me or hubby is holding her
    I am at my wits end 3 weeks of no sleep is terrible
    I NEED ADVICE

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you got a carrier? Maybe try a wrap, sling or carrier so she can sleep but you have your hands free.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    Awww you poor thing I'm wondering if its reflux and therefore she likes to be propped up or if it's just that she loves her mummy cuddles? Do you swaddle her? I found that swaddling tightly in a stretchy wrap really helped with DS. I also let him sleep in his capsule or swing and then moved him to his moses basket, which i propped up with a towel, when he was really out to it. I hope she settles soon! Hugs!
    she gets swaddled I also tried not swaddled but doesn't make a difference I have also tried putting her in the swing but she won't sleep there either

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you have her in a carrier she's still close to you and has your warmth and can hear your heartbeat. Tiny babies just like being held, they're so used to the warmth and comfort of mum's uterus!

Thanks
    Reviews
    From day 1 with DD, I swaddled her and this seemed to help heaps. I never swaddled DS, so I really noticed the difference it made with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 6wk old is the same, we elevated one end of the cot and it seems to have helped. Also, she may be cold and you are warming her but she isnt warm in bed, remember newborns need 2 more layers than us. They love snuggling,both my kids have been the same, they do get better, and I got better at sleeping sitting up

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had exactly the same with my DS and for the first 12 weeks had to cuddle him while he slept day and night even though he was swaddled. It was so uncomfortable in the night and my arm was dead!

In the end I vowed to get him sleeping more independently and over a period of 4 weeks gradually moved him further and further out of my arms at night onto his cot mattress which I put next to me on our bed (DH had to sleep next door to make room). He slowly let me move my arm out from under him and get further away from my body. But it took 4 weeks so not a quick fix and we had some regressions where I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. But in the end he got used to sleeping on his mattress which I then put into his cot next to our bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say that during the day for naps I put DS in his pram and pushed it back and forth to settle him gradually reducing the motion as he got used to it. It wasnt perfect but better than cuddling him. I used to sit on a chair reading my book while I pushed the pram with my foot back and forth. Oh the good ol' days!!!