+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you work fulltime while doing IVF?

Can I ask you IVF girls a question. Do any of you take time off or are you planning to take time off during your IVF cycles?

This is our third cycle (first one was cancelled just before EPU and the 2nd was a chemical pregnancy) and will be a FET cycle, but my fiancé wants me to think about taking some time off work. I’m a bit hesitant because I just know this can take such a long time, and i could take a couple of months off and still not be pregnant. I’ve been in the same job for a few years now (which i love) and have a very understanding boss who would support me taking some extended paid or unpaid leave. It’s a mainly sit down office job (but with some interstate travel), but I do have to use my brain a lot it can be full on with lots of meetings and is about 8-10 hours in the office a day. For the last 4 months I feel like I’ve either been really nauseous, have a blinding headache or am falling asleep at my desk! Usually by the time i make it home, all i want to do is crash on the couch and i then don’t have the energy to exercise/meditate/relax properly like i wanted to with the IVF. The drugs really seem to give me a lot of side effects. My partner is also fifo and is away a lot, so it takes a lot of extra energy to run our house and pets on my own and I don’t have him around a lot at the moment.

What do you girls rekon? Is it better to take a couple of months off to chill out and do a few FET cycles, or is it better to be at work because it takes your mind off all the waiting and anxiety that comes with IVF. Do all of you work fulltime and fit your IVF around that? Just curious. I just wondered if I’d increase my chances of getting pregnant if i took a month or two off and then had the day’s free for lots of exercise/meditation/chilling out/ acupuncture etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi

i went part time..i kinda regret it..it made no difference, i just lost LOTS of money. the only benefit is being able to not have to take so many sickies, but even then ur EPU / xfer etc could fall on the days u work if part time...personally i benefitted more from doing counselling and meditation and exercise for stress relief altho i guess it depends on the demands of your job and how much u are into other forms of stress management.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work ft and my dh talks about me having the tww off to relax but I personally think I would think of nothing else and it would be counterproductive but that's just me! Good luck with your next cycle. Hope it's a sticky one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will continue working when I start my cycle next week. I think your situation is a lot different to mine though, you're already not feeling the greatest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Clementine Grace
    I had to ask the very same question!! We have just had our first ET and are on the TWW. I decided to 'scale back' with work. I was doing a 2 week on 1 week off roster out of town (away from docs and clinics required for bloods ect) I really was not ideal considering what we were embarking on. I was told to just ask myself, "what was more important to me" It made sense. I loved my job, great paying, fantastic boss, but too stressfull and the hours were not kind. I "resigned" in the way of taking and indefinate period of leave, which my boss was completely fantastic about I came back home, where all the medical facilities I needed were, have taken a casual job, as to not go totally nuts during the process! The new job has been nothing but great towards me and the journey we are on, and to be honest, I believe it has made a huge difference. We had a rough time with our first cycle, this time has been great! I truely believe that is definately has to do with the change in my work.
    Is a tough one, and I did have to ask around as I thought maybe I was being a bit over dramatic with how I was feeling and reacting to the drugs ect and needed to just "suck it up" and get on with things. Not true, I have become quite selfish and have decided to do what it takes to make this work for us. I am still working, but have just made more time for me and DH and shifted the balance of life back in our favour, and we hope it works for the best. All the very best for you on your journey, and I hope this may help. Take care and lots of babydust for us all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

I have done both....taken time off and also worked through cycling or 2WW and still had BFN's. Personally, I think I have more time on my hands to stress when I have the time off....work seems to be a good distraction.

My partner is fifo at a mine in Mt Isa....he has just gone onto 1 week on and 1 week off but was doing 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I sooo get what you are going through with having to pick up all his 'duties' while he is away at work and riding the IVF rollercoaster...it really does get to me at times, but is better since his roster has changed. When I do get a bit down about it, I remind myself that there are women (strong women) that are doing IVF totally alone and think if they can do it, so can I.

Its certainly not easy balancing life whilst trying to create life....dont be too hard on yourself...you can only do, what you can only do....we are all IVF superwomen!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - it sounds as though a bit of time off might be beneficial for you.

I have worked FT through this cycle. But I've also been lucky in that my boss is understanding and was totally cool with me taking days off when I needed to. I just told him when I wasn't going to be in or might be late, and I told a project manager what was going on so that she didn't dump a whole load of new work on me at a bad time. I was also lucky that my EPU was on a Friday, and then transfer was on Wed. As there was the Easter break, I took Wed & Thurs off, so got a good long break to relax into the 2WW. I went back to work today though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my first cycle and I've worked full time. For me, I really didn't have a choice and in hindsight I was glad to have the structure and normality of work to get me through the highs and lows that each day has brought. Work has come to be a place where I can at least go through the motions of being 'normal'. Also, I suppose because I was working, I didn't worry as much about the cost of IVF and the havoc it created on my credit card balance.

I am lucky in that all my US and blood tests were performed a 5 minute walk from work and I've only had to take a day off for EPU. It also just happened that I had my EPU and transfer around Easter. Still had to work but it was a bit less taxing with some extra days off.

I've had only a few potential dramas when on calls have clashed with procedures but somehow things worked out and I didn't have to do a roster swap.

I have had to make a conscious effort to make time to relax. I try and do some yoga and relaxation exercises each day.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Clementine,

Hopefully you will get your BFP soon, but if not it will be a while before u do another full stim cycle with all those blasty on ice and FET cycles are a lot easier on your body. If you're doing natural FETs its almost like a normal person except you just do OPKs, BTs and a scan or two before ET but no drugs YAY!

I'm working FT in an office job and a few of my office buddies know what i'm going thru and are understanding. Luckily my EPUs have been on Saturdays so I've had the weekends to recover a bit. But I know what you mean about the drugs affecting your work, i find my mind just wondering off and find it hard to focus and i'm very forgetful. I'm taking the rest of this week off to rest and relax and I have my ET on Thursday.

Maybe you should take a week or two off to recuperate and see how you feel. Its a rough ride and we try and keep some normalcy in our lives but sometimes it just all catches up with us and then its time for some time out Like I said in another thread to you: there's gotta be a sticky one in those blastys of yours

Thanks
    Reviews
    You girls are terrific, thanks for the advice!

DP works 3 weeks on 1 off at the moment which is super hard while doing ivf. I think maybe I need to really try and chill out more outside of work. I'm sure the fet cycles will be easier. Were going to do a fet in April and may and if both of those don't work then I'll take a month or 6 weeks off. I guess I could always go down to four days for awhile maybe, that might just take a bit of pressure off.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

megbob  (10-04-2012)